icon

is it bad to go a little over rms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whitemike0110 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2009 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
I have 2 Alpine type r's there both 500 RMS and peak at 1500watts. My Amp is 1000.2 but if you run it at 1ohm then it's 750 per channel. So if it really did push EXACTLY 750 per channel it would be 250 watts over RMS when 1500 is peak for EACH. Is this okay for them?
I have another question. So each sub are in their own box. I wired each of them for a 1ohm load. This is still a 1 ohm load on the amp since both are wired to 1 ohm. It's not like ohms add on each other right. It's the amount of resistance and it's the same on both subs so it's just 1 ohm...correct?   Thanks for info guys!
Mike
Would it be worth it to get a third type r? I've heard if I added another one that it wouldn't be really noticeably but i dont understand this. If another sub was hitting how wouldn't it? i've heard you have to double your power to add 3Db's but how wouldnt another sub make it louder?
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2009 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
hi i just posted something similer about the dvc wiring and im running 6 12 inch p2s on 5500 watts 3000 rms ported to 50hz i hit a 145.7 on the dash
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2009 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
how many fuses and what size are they? there is a formual for the max output ill try to find it on this site
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2009 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
1: DVC, 2 ohm woofers? Then yes, you can have each channel wired to 1 ohm. If you wire the woofers in stereo, they do not see each other, and the amplifier runs at one ohm per channel. You could also bridge the amp, and get the same power, and still be running one ohm per channel. We have no idea what the amp IS, so we'll have to GUESS at the real-world power ratings, but I expect that you are NOT really pushing 750 WPC.
2: Doubling power adds 3dB. Doubling SURFACE AREA also adds 3dB. To add only 50% more surface area (add one more identical driver) will only add (and these are all theoretical, mind you) 1.5dB
The minimum NOTICEABLE difference is 3dB, so, adding 1 woofer is below the threshold of audibility. This is why you won't hear the difference.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic