icon

what to get for a system on a bicycle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tre918 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2009 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
ok so me an a friend we built old school schwinn's in to lowriders, an I am wanting to put a system on my tricycle. An I'm not sure on what all I would need power wise.
Trent Schmidt
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 07, 2009 at 5:23 AM / IP Logged  

The first thing you would need is power. 

How much depends on what you want to put on the bike.  If you just want a radio with one speaker your power requirements will be different then if you want a radio, 4 speakers, 2 15" subs running off of a 5,000 watt amp.

Naturally, since its a bike and I doubt you want to put an alternator on it you should try to minimize the power draw so you can use a small rechargable battery of some type.  It may be worthwhile to look in to using an IPOD with speakers - they are small and don't require excessive power to run.

Kevin Pierson
tre918 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2009 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
ya I'm lookin, to fit like 4 12 an some component speaker's an a touch screen, I making it all out of fiberglass. I'm goin to be entering shows with it an my car.
Trent Schmidt
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 07, 2009 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  

If you just want it  for shows I would look at getting an Astron power supply rated as high as you can afford.  If you are serious about 4 12"s then you're going to need some power.

Kevin Pierson
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
If it is just for show you might think about a 120 to 12 power inverter you can simply plug it in to a wall and have continuous power all day long. but either way your going to need alot of power to push 4 12s good luck the power inverter is my best advice
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
bwhvac065@aol.c wrote:
If it is just for show you might think about a 120 to 12 power inverter you can simply plug it in to a wall and have continuous power all day long. but either way your going to need alot of power to push 4 12s good luck the power inverter is my best advice
If you're gonna try to give advice, please use the correct terminology: " inverter"
What he is looking for is a " power supply"
They are not the same thing, and do COMPLETELY different things, and the terms are NOT interchangeable... Thank you.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

Once again ladies and gentleman...... the spiz has spoken!

ALLWAYS good advice. ( and proper spellin too)

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:
Once again ladies and gentleman...... the spiz has spoken!
ALLWAYS good advice. ( and proper spellin too)
You TELL 'em, Gary! C'mon, man... You know that's how I roll. Not to mention the fact that inaccurate information causes mistakes, and inaccurate information is NOT what the12volt.com is about, now is it? What's wrong with correcting people? what to get for a system on a bicycle -- posted image. {one "l" in always... LOL} Gotcha!
Had you and I not recieved "corrections" all our lives, we wouldn't know as much as we do, now would we?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
why is it okay for one to bust anothers balls about advice? its advice not missiles what he is doing is a little out of reach anyway!! a power inverter uses a step down transformer to INVERT 120v at 60hz to 12v at xx# of amps depending on the inverter!! I have one in my shop does exactly what i just typed. he will not be able to ride the bike but if it is just for show what is the problem? And just for your information it is people like you that criticize others advice to make yourself feel better that make people leave a forum due to you attitude.
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3
haemphyst 
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
Did you READ the definitions I provided? An inverter converts from DC to AC... You are describing a POWER SUPPLY, just as I said.
bwhvac065@aol.c wrote:
why is it okay for one to bust anothers balls about advice? its advice not missiles what he is doing is a little out of reach anyway!! a power inverter uses a step down transformer to INVERT 120v at 60hz to 12v at xx# of amps depending on the inverter!!
First, I was trying to explain to you that you were wrong, with supporting documentation and the very defintions of the words you were confusing, and STILL you defend your incorrect point of view. Second, if it's out of reach, why did you bother commenting? (Nice attitude, by the way... I'm sure the OP feels much better about his project, now that you have said so. As far as I am concerned, if you can dream it, you can do it.) Whether missles or hard boiling eggs, don't you think he came here looking for CORRECT information? A big part of correct information involves using the correct phraseology.
bwhvac065@aol.c wrote:
I have one in my shop does exactly what i just typed.
No. You don't. You have a POWER SUPPLY or power CONverter. It CONverts (not INverts) 120VAC to 12VDC. Please read the definitions I provided. The word "converter" can be used to describe an "inverter", but not the other way around. An "inverter" CONverts from DC to AC. That's what it does. That's ALL it does.
bwhvac065@aol.c wrote:
he will not be able to ride the bike but if it is just for show what is the problem?
The problem is just as I said in my comments back to Gary... You are using the wrong terminology. End of story. You are wrong, and I am correcting you with facts in support of your incorrect usage.
bwhvac065@aol.c wrote:
And just for your information it is people like you that criticize others advice to make yourself feel better that make people leave a forum due to you attitude.
Enh... Your opinion. I don't have to correct people in a forum to feel good about myself. I promise you that. Additionally, I am NOT criticizing you. I am correcting you. And correcting you constructively, I might mention. You want criticism? Here's criticism: "Shall I link the definitions to those two words for you as well?" Or, how about this: "Read the definitions. Provided for you in handy blue links."
I love this forum. I have learned a great deal from nearly all of the senior members here, and even a few of the junior members have taught me a few things... i am an idiot teaches me more every time I read a post from him. That guy is certainly NOT anything resembling an idiot in my book. I like to think that in my time here, I have helped my share of people as well. I may even learn something from you, someday. I have never said I know everything, and I frequently admit openly that I learn something everyday.
I admit also, that I occasionally might get carried away, or overly (and even overtly) sarcastic in my responses, but I do not think I did so in this case. I feel that I was very concise, accurate, and as far as I can tell in re-reading my own post, polite as well.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic