icon

wiring two amps, which configuration?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2009 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
My system will have two amps going into it, I will also have two subs.
The amps are;
500W @ 4Ohm bridged
300W x2 @ 2Ohm
200W x2 @ 4Ohm
The subs are
200W, 8Ohm
This is an insignia kit, that had 2 subs and an amp. Basically I think its meant to run both speakers from a single amp. bridging it will give you 4Ohms on the speakers(if you wire them for that of course), and 500W to power them both. Or each sub per channel for much less power.
So my question is, which would be the best way to wire the amps?
Should I bridge each amp, and run a single speaker from a single amp that way? Which I believe would give me 250W @ 8Ohms bridged correct?
Secondly, my HU has 2 sub outs, L/R. With the two amps, should I connect the L out from my HU to the amp/sub on the left side of my car, and R sub out to the amp/sub on the right side of the car?
Bridged I would obviously need to split the HU output so the L output could plug into BOTH L/R on the amp so I can get the bridged power....same for the right side.
OR should I just run L/R to each amp?
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

"So my question is, which would be the best way to wire the amps?"--- parallel

if one amp gives you 500rms at 4 ohms the parallell your speaker wiring which will result in a four ohm load, which will result in 250watts rms to each speaker, no need for two amps so your rca cable signal doesn't have to be split either.

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2009 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
right, I get what your saying, but using 2 amps will give me the same output per speaker @ 8 Ohms. This means when I purchase new speakers later on down the road that are only 4 Ohms, it will feed them 500W RMS.
given the amps don't crap out, they will be powering better speakers later on.
If I don't use two amps now, it means I'll have to upgrade later on.
but what about the RCA connections..... should I set it up for "left and right" bass setup, or should both L/R outputs go to each L/R input for each amp?..... (<--- im not sure that really made sense)
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2009 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
well you can always wire to facilitate upgrade later on, but as is currently it would only make sense to use one amp, also if you use both amps and split the rca signal from the HU, you would dimnish output signal voltage through your rca's, so if you use one amp you'll just have to run one rca to the two channels, if you use both you'll have to use y cables at either to the back of the HU or at the amps.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
The input impedance of a typical amplifier is around 10,000 ohms.  There is no car deck in the world that would not feed 10 amplifiers without diminishing the output level or quality of the sound.
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

hmmm, well i guess i learnt something new then, i stand corrected, iaai, but won't you agree that using one of the amps instead of the two would be better at this point, or do you have a difference of opinion.

bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2009 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
I'm curious as well where you stand on two amps vs one.
I'm looking at it from a "future upgrade" and "nice looking symmetry" point of view.
Symmetry aside, as I mentioned, later on I will simply need to just drop in my 4Ohm speakers, and each will have 500W.... very little work involved.
But I also see what your saying as well.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
You would definitely be better off with the 2 amps.  I am not real confident in your amp manufacturers spec there.  A 2 ohm stereo load is the same exact load as a 4 ohm mono situation.  The 2 ohm per channel rating should be exactly the same as the 4 ohm mono rating.  They are claiming 300 X 2  and 500 X 1    Something does not jive.   Notice that it does 200 per into 4 ohms.  300 per into 2 ohms.  It does not double it's power into the 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohm mono.  8 ohm mono is the same as 4 ohm stereo.  So presuming the 2 channel ratings are correct, you will be getting 400 watts to each 8 ohm bridged speaker.  If you were to connect both 8 ohm speakers bridged to one amp, you would have 600 watts.  800 watts will not make a huge difference over the 600 watts, but it will be more.
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2009 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
Insignia, which is bestbuy's brand is actually power acoustic, garbage in my book.
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
i had two kits just like big johnny it was my first system 4 12s and 2 1000 watt 2 channel amps. i had the rcas split at the hu and they went back to the amps then the power i ran a single 4 guage back to a dist block and from there was 2 8 guage to the amps with the amps having a separate 4 guage ground. Thats my insigna story just thought id put it out therewiring two amps, which configuration? - Last Post -- posted image.
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic