best to overpower, or underpower?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
danger3sqn 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
I have an Alpine MRD-605 amp putting out 1x660WRMS @2ohm (from the test certificate).
In my previous setup I was running 2x12" Alpine Type S subs off the amp mainly due to the cost of Type R ones. Now that I'm doing a much nicer install and don't mind spending a bit more I'm considering 2x10" Type R ones.
I don't want to replace the amp, its big enough for my liking, however it puts me in RMS limbo...
Do I run a pair of Type S? I'd be putting 330WRMS into each, but they're rated to 300WRMS.
Or do I go for Type R? Which I've read can be powered by 200-500WRMS.
Any help would be great, cheers
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2009 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
It doesn't really matter.  Choose the speakers you like and then setup the amp appropriately by setting the gain properly.
Support the12volt.com
memfus_boi 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2009 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
i always say its good to overpower, you might want to upgrade in the future. just dont set the gains up too high
If I'm to loud, then you're too old!!!
danger3sqn 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
memfus_boi wrote:
i always say its good to overpower, you might want to upgrade in the future. just dont set the gains up too high
In that case wouldn't I be better off with the Type R, so that I have the option of upgrading to a more powerful amp in the future? Its early in the morning here so I may be reading it wrong, but I don't understand your statement :) I get the bit about not setting gains too high.
I'm really in 2 minds about this, I'm tending to lean towards the Type R as the recommended sealed enclosure volume is smaller than the Type S, which is important since they're going into a mini! Also so it gives me the option of upgrading to the more powerful Alpine D-class in the future if I decide to. However I've been running a pair of 12" Type S off the amp until now and they sound fine, but I have nothing to compare them to
Thanks for the advice as well DYohn, unfortunately theres bugger all car audio shops where I live though, so I'm not gonna have a chance to pick one I like the sound of!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic