icon

best way to reverse polarity on solenoid

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fisherangel7 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2009 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

Best way to Reverse Both + and - on a solenoid?

I have solenoid that is latching type single coil SPDT .  I need to reverse the polarity with one pulse in either direction to cause it to switch from position A to position B and vice versa/  WHat is best way to do it with 12 relays lowest parts count.. thanks.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Wha...? What are you trying to do? I can't make heads or tails of your request...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 20, 2009 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of current does the coil of the solenoid require?  Is it a constant duty coil, or does it just require a pulse to switch states?   You may be able to pull it off with a DPDT toggle switch.
fisherangel7 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2009 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
The solenoid seems to take about 3 amps @ 12 volts on the coil.    I'm looking for a way to switch the single coil (versus double coil which is much easier but much more bulky to deal with) .  It requires reversing polarity.  Latching means it requires no power to maintain its last position; meaning you save power on the control side.   Both pos and neg have to be reversed to activate it from one position to the other.   its basically a SPDT solenoid but it latches ; which gives me the ability to save the energy required to maintain last position.   It would be nice to have a way to drive it with smaller relay(s) but I am looking for an optimum method to reduce parts and ideally to toggle it from one position to another with just one pulse (or 2 )  etc.  thanks for any help.
fisherangel7 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

TO clarify: 

It needs to be non-powered unless the need to change positions is required.  At that time one pulse of perhaps 1/2 sec would be available to change the positon (position A vs Positon B in a single pole double throw (SPDT) latching relay using only one coil.  Thanks for any help on this.   I looked at some of the 12 volt power door lock schematics, but didn't see how they could be applicable since they use same ground instead of reversing both + and -.   The normal forward / reverse method does not seem good since they require constant power to coil to maintain one position. 

In the name of Jesus Christ = Peace (not war) ,amen.

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
best way to reverse polarity on solenoid -- posted image.
fisherangel7 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2009 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  

Dear "iamanidiot" ,

Thanks for response but really its pretty vague.. can you show all details. thanks !!  Explain it as well.. thanks!!

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 21, 2009 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  

Purchase a Double Pole Double Throw, momentary toggle or rocker switch.  Look at the back of the switch.  That should clear up a lot of the confusion.

Coil connection 1 and 2 are the connections on the coil of the solenoid.   The red line in the picture is positive 12 volts.   The black line is ground.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2009 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot has only shown you the high-current relay terminals, if you were to use a relay. There would be eight terminals on a relay. Those six, already presented, and two more for the solenoid. If you decide to use a simple DPDT switch, then just connect it as he has shown. He also mentions using a momentary switch, but you can use whatever type you desire to acheive the desired result upon activating the switch. Momentary and latched will be your options.
He did NOT show the relay's solenoid terminals, those will simply be two smaller terminals that you connect to your regular on-off switch. The "at rest" position will be the "off" position, and when you flip the swich on, that will reverse the polarity.
One thing that you will not be able to do is turn the outputs of the assembly off. There will always be a connection, and when you turn the car off, that connection will be the "at rest" position - i.e. the control switch in the off position.
What are you using this for? If you cannot have the output always connected, for a DC power type of application, you will have to put an additional relay in front of this one that will turn off the power to the accessory when you turn the car off...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 21, 2009 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
I think he meant to say i only showed you the low current control for your solenoid.  That is only the DPDT switch. 
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic