icon

blown woofer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangmark 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

I have a KICKER L7 15 2ohm dvc and it started to sound like it was blown. Is there anything I can do to test it and see if it is blown or if it is another problem?

mark
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2009 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah try this Take the speaker and put on voice coil on a 9v battery and see if it moves and if it does then do the other voice coil. (note while doing this listen to the coil and make sure it does not make any kind of rubbing noise when the coil goes up and down). If it does then the sub is bad or going bad. Hope this helps
DO this to each coil.blown woofer? - Last Post -- posted image.
trunkmonkey037 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

vibrationcustum wrote:
Yeah try this Take the speaker and put on voice coil on a 9v battery and see if it moves and if it does then do the other voice coil. (note while doing this listen to the coil and make sure it does not make any kind of rubbing noise when the coil goes up and down). If it does then the sub is bad or going bad. Hope this helps
DO this to each coil.blown woofer? - Last Post -- posted image.

All this will accomplish is the speaker moving up and down which you could do with your hand. The best way is to measure with a digital VOm and ee if each voice coil is putting out the manufacturer specified impedance

Never Look A Monkey In The Eye!!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2009 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
trunkmonkey037 wrote:
All this will accomplish is the speaker moving up and down which you could do with your hand. The best way is to measure with a digital VOm and ee if each voice coil is putting out the manufacturer specified impedance
1: If there is CONTINUITY, (which the VOM will also confirm) then the battery test is PERFECTLY usable. (one point for battery test) If you use a battery with a high enough voltage, you will also be able to find out if the voice coil is intermittent at the extremes of Xmax, which pushing on the cone with your hand, will NOT show. (one point off for the VOM, but one more point for battery test) With a score of 2 to -1, the battery test wins.
2: Speakers do not "put out" ohms. "Ohms" is a number describing the resistance presented by the wire within the voice coil. Sounds like somebody needs to understand better the parameters of electricity. Additionally, a "4-ohm" voice coil will NOT read 4 ohms with a VOM, it will be lower - typically around 3 ohms or so. The guy that does NOT know this will then think that his woofer is "broken" somehow.
BEST bet, AFAIAC, is the battery test. Use a 12V car battery if you can make some jumpers.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
come on play nice fellas
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 26, 2009 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
Haem IS being nice...stick around here long enough you'll notice.
I'd rather prefer CORRECT information rather than incorrect information...also from some one who KNOWS what they are talking about.
Custom Enclosure Design
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2009 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
oh belive me i know he knows what hes talking about. im just kidding with him we had a tussle a little while back and he made a a## out of me but for the right reasons i gave the wrong info but its all in good nature
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3
trunkmonkey037 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
Fair enough I do need to learn more as to why i've joined this forum and yes what haem has said I didn't realize could be done and would produce those results i've just always been shown to use the VOM and in every case i've used the VOM it has been correct as to why I jumped to that conclusion.
trunkmonkey037 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
I did forget to mention that it would sit lower my bad that I did know.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic