icon

what else could be fill inside boxes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whitemike0110 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2009 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
You know how people use like big cotton blankets basically inside of boxes for whatever reasons, is there anything else that i could use in replacement. Like a blanket or somthing like that.
A question, are those used to kind of slow down the vibrations and make the box sound bigger? Thanks for your help
Hello.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2009 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
You can buy a bag of Polyfil from Wal-Mart to put in the box. In the hobby section.
'85 Toy
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
You want something with very open fibers. I would think the fibers in a blanket would be too close together to be effective.
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2009 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

Back in my "ghetto days", I would actually stuff a full-sized bed pillow into each side of my sub box.  I figured nobody would see it.  But then I quit smoking herbs and my brain cells started to come back. 

Last time I bought a pair of subs from Crutchfield (you know, back when nobody could beat their prices, unlike today when everyone can beat their prices!) they always said to use "Quilting Dacron" which they said was available at fabric stores and craft stores.  It was the stuff made to line quilts when they got sewn together.  Sure enough, I found it at Hancook and Joann Fabric stores.

Now days, if you go into a fabric store and ask for Quilting Dacron, they point you to the Polyester (aka "polyfill").  It's pretty cheap too.  But you have to cut it in half.  One big bag would work for 2 sides of a sub box.  It's what I use in my present "generic box" that I bought from Car Toys (a popular electronics retailer over here).

As for the "reason" to use polyester, I can't explain the technical stuff.  But I can say it stops the hollow, echo affect.  And you WILL notice a difference!  Just to hear the difference, buy the poly fill first, then mount your subs without it.  Turn the system on and listen.  Then shut er down and stuff the polyester into the sub box, and  try it again.  Hear the difference?  Feel the difference?  There is a difference.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic