how to have a car audio sound off.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2009 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4694329#ProductDetail

It has a range of 35 to 135 Db   That level was reachable with a single Punch 45 in 1985. 

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2009 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4694329#ProductDetail

It has a range of 35 to 135 Db   That level was reachable with a single Punch 45 in 1985. 

now thats funny!

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2009 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
Why is that "funny"? There is a reason the thing is being "clearanced" for 15 bux! It's a turd. 135dB is kiddies territory; ANY system will likely peg that thing. The Term-Lab piece is FAR more like what you will be needing. Don't want to buy it? Rent it from someplace, but if you want to be REMOTELY taken serious, you'll forget the Wally World SPL meter right now.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2009 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
I think he was amused at how I was trying to say that the capability of the wal-mart meter is child's play, without really saying that. Now I realize "kiddies territory" may have been a better choice than "child's play"
Haem, do you have Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, or even Microsoft Paint? Have you seen the Administrator's new bike? It is in the Rides and System Galleries forum. It needs some customizing.
mikecole89 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

First do a google search and maybe look around "usaci" site. you dont want to have a soundoff and look like a complete idiot, if i went to a sound off and they metered with trunk open i would lmao and leave. 15 dollar decibel meter is not at all accurate so LMAO at you. no one said car audio is cheap, you get what you pay for..and you your question about how  to actually meter sealed up and on windshield as stated above or in the kick pannel with door open.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 09, 2009 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
Haem, do you have Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, or even Microsoft Paint? Have you seen the Administrator's new bike? It is in the Rides and System Galleries forum. It needs some customizing.

haemphyst is compyuter illiterit.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2009 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
hahaha
I have both a term-lab and various other meters to play with.
Walmart "boom stick" close to 20db inaccurate at most frequencies below 80hz   where you would want them to be accurate.   above 8- hz can be withen 1 to 2 db from a term lab haha
The volt meter style that is all over ebay is about 4-7db inaccurate from the term lab, but is consistant across the frequency band, but has alot of varience.   from 1 burp to the next it can change multiple DB
Older AudioContol meters   
180SPL meter is very very close to the term lab about 2-3 db and very accurate
170SPL meter is about 4-7 off and can be fool by finding the meters sweet spot
160SPL meter is about the same as 170 but easier to fool
Review formats and rules of diffrent sanctioning bodies USACI DBDrag MidwestSPL IASCA ect ect
decided what you want to go off os, and find a meter.   If you were anywhere in the US I could find someone to assist you or possibly host a show for you.    But in canada its slim pickings
You might want to PM velocitymotorsports or forbidden and see if they know any organized competition bodies in canada
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic