icon

i want my radio to hit 140db

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2009 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
I got this new app on my g1 a db reader and I'm cool let's go test it oon my car stereo I got 102 db . I currently have a set of alpine 4x6 in the front a set of alpine 6x9 both type s and in the trunk I have two alpine type r two ohm. And powering the front and rear I have 2 audiobahn a2002t amps and the subs a2200hct amp and the gain is at a 1/4 any help or suggestions oh the subs are in a vented box 2 cubic feet total
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2009 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
G1... iPhone? If so, 102 isn't even CLOSE to what you are actually making.
Use a real dB meter, then come back and talk to us.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2009 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Ok but any suggestions on how I can raise it. I was thingin of playing wit the eualizations and raising the gin a lil bit but when I did that the bass was louder than my inteior speakers and all you hear is the interior speakers and this loud deep bass.
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
Keep going on the path that you are on and your destruction is certain young grasshopper........
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
what you mean buy that
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
I can't make heads or tails of what you are asking... PLEASE use some punctuation; we can forgive spelling errors (even though we SHOULDN'T, but at the same time we need to seriously thank Ahhnald for leaving no child behind), but geez, man, the run-on sentences that you insist on using are NOT conveying a clear image of what you want.
forbidden wrote:
Keep going on the path that you are on and your destruction is certain young grasshopper........
Maybe what he means is that you should put the stereo down, and go back to school. If you are still IN school, WAKE UP! Put the weed down, and pay attention. If you speak in person like you type on an internet forum, all I can see in my mind is Jeff Spicoli. (Look it up...) ...and yes, that is a bash, not a compliment...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  
ok basically i wanted to know is, can i up my db in my current stereo setup or should i upgrade some parts of it to accomplish that. i was thinking of turning up the gain but when i had the gain up the bass was much louder and it drowned out my mids and highs. so should i upgrade my interior speakers and turn up the gain or upgrade all my speakers. or a different brand in amps. my main goal is to get the most of what i have now and upgrade little as possbile
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
haemphyst 
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you... Now, was that so painful?
Anyway. There are two ways to make more sound, which is what you are after...
1: More power.
2: More speakers.
If you have no space for #2, then you MUST provide the current speakers with more power. A doubling of power will increase their output by 3dB, a barely noticeable difference, if at all. If your current speakers cannot handle more power, then you must replace them with something either a: more efficient, or b: higher power handling. I have never heard of regular, everyday speakers that are efficient enough or have high enough power handling to reach those SPLs. You are now left with esoterica. Esoteric means $$. Lots and lots of $$.
Now... What is your budget? It's not cheap to make noise, and by the time you reach your desired 140dB line, you WILL have spent thousands of dollars, in either speakers, amplifiers and/or installation. Does it sound as if I am trying to talk you out of doing this? Well, I am. It's folly, and by the time you reach 19, you won't be able to hear a thing! As little as 15 minutes a day of 115dB WILL cause hearing loss.
Here are the OSHA mandated noise limits for a workplace environment:
Exposure Time    Exposure Level (measured in dB SPL)
8 Hours          90 dB SPL
6 Hours          92 dB SPL
4 Hours          95 dB SPL
3 Hours          97 dB SPL
2 Hours          100 dB SPL
1.5 Hours        102 dB SPL
1 Hours          105 dB SPL
.5 Hours        110 dB SPL
.25 Hours        115 dB SPL
You can see that even at your already acheiveable SPL of 102dB, you are already causing significant damage to your earing by listening more than 90 minutes a day, which I am sure you are doing. I might also mention that the 102 you are already hitting is an AVERAGE, with peaks being significantly higher than that, adding to the speed at which you ARE damaging your hearing.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

That's why I can't hear. 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Another way to make any radio hit 140db is to load it into a cannon and fire it against a wall.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic