icon

pop when music turned on/off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

That's cool.  I'll just continue to use relays for the sake of safety and piece of mind.  And the MECP manual is certainly not the first or only source that got me using relays for turn-ons. So although turning on several things with your deck's lead may work for you, I'll stick with my way for my system for now.  But I'm guessing if you call a few local shops who have well-trained and seasoned installers, most of the good ones won't use the deck's lead to turn on a bunch of other stuff.  Stuff that works for some people without problems isn't any indication it will work for others.  I'm not TELLING anyone to use relays, I'm simply stating how I do it, what I found to work best, and what most pros have suggested.  I'm just not ready to take the chance and use my Excelon's turn-on lead to power up 3 amps and a crossover and maybe the CD changer.  Not worth the risk to find out if it would work.  And since my $2 relay is already mounted on my amp rack, I think I'll just use it.  After all, I notice you didn't say relays are a BAD thing (but I'm sure you think it). As for a relay failing, I've rarely seen it happen and I've been an auto mechanic most of my life.  And so what if it fails?  What happens?  Have you ever seen one fail?  The only thing that happens is that they stop opening or closing.  Nothing catches on fire or sends massive amounts of voltage or current to whatever it is controlling.  When a relay fails, it won't open, and therefore won't turn something on or off.  In that case, you simple remove 1 screw and pop a new one in its place.

I certainly don't mean to come on like I'm being a jerk or anything here.  But you came off like I was a total idiot and my mention of relays was totally uncool and a waste of everyone's time and $2.  And you seem "anti MECP", like that study guide is worthless.  It's not, no matter if it was written in the 60's for Kraco and Sparkomatic installers.  It has useful info for some, nothing for others.  But if you are MECP Cerified, you must have used it and agree with it or you wouln't have passed the test.

So let's all just get along and not slam anyone else's use of relays or decision to not use them.  It's a cheap alternative to taking a huge risk.

And as for my response to the guy about running a series of loops of turn-ons, you'll notice I didn't slam him for his mention, I simply stated that I've never heard of anyone doing it and I didn't think it was a good idea and therefore would not try it myself.

Group hug?pop when music turned on/off - Page 2 -- posted image.

mikecole89 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

I was not bashing on you or saying you did it wrong dude. I was just stating that you could also just loop it. Another reason I am not running 5 differnt things off my head unit lol. I am just running 2 amps off my head unit so instead of running 2 turn ons just going to loop it..what is the preamp voltage of your deck do you know?

kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

The preamp output voltage is 4 volts at 600 ohms, and the max for the turn-on is 500mA.

I wasn't referring to you, but more to the guy who made me seem like I was smokin' some good stuff and didn't know what I was talking about.  I've been doing this stuff for almost 35 years.  Although I'm no expert, I've learned (and kept notes of) a LOT of tips and tricks and techniques.  This was just one of the many things I've learned.  NOT that I expect anyone else to do what I suggest.

No biggie, dude.  It's all good.

So, how's the system going?  Have you taken care of the issues you were having?  Hope so.  It will all work out if you just take your time (maybe not as long as I've been taking to build my amp rack, but a little time).

As for the relay gig, it's just something I learned, and it makes a lot of sense.  I like relays.  They are my friend.  I learned how often you need them in alarms, and how well they protect stuff in stereos.  Never a bad investment when you can save a $400+ deck by using a simple few dollar item.  They may not be NEEDED in every case, but they sure won't hurt.

Good luck, man.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic