icon

sub polarity problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deezy21 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
So i have 2 dvc 4ohm subs wired to 2 ohm and i have a 2 ohm stable 2 channel amp. The problem is the polarity is off the subs are hitting at different times and one subs is hitting harder then the other. Does anyone know how to fix the polarity???
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
ok This is a picture of what you have to do with each voice coil and subs.
List
9v battery
something to take of the speakers.
sub polarity problems -- posted image.
Know if the speaker moves up you have it right but if the speaker moves down you have to switch it on the speaker. Hope this helps and if you need something else just let someone know and we can help
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
deezy21 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
ok so if i do as the picture shows and i get both subs to move up which ever of the 2 voice coils i get to go up on i use those to go to the terminal??
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

If a speaker is wired out of phase with another speaker, you will never see that it is out of phase with an audio signal.  The only way you can tell is it will be moving a lot and not making any bass.

Wire each woofer as in the picture below.  Connect each speaker to one channel of your amp.   After you wire the speaker, and before you connect it to the amp, touch the wires briefly to the battery as stated above.  Notice which way the speaker moves.  If the positive terminal of the battery is connected to the positive wire of the speaker, the cone should move away from the magnet. 

Option 1 (parallel) = 2 ohm load
Voice coils wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 2 or 1 ohm mono

Duplicate for the other speaker and connect it to the other channel of the amp.

vibrationcustum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
one voice at a time
so take the 9v battery and put it to the wires on one voice if it goes up you have the wires right, if not then the wires need to be changed around.
FOR Example:
Positive on the speakers voice coil to the positive to the 9v (do this with the speaker wire that is hooked to that voice coil). DO the same with the negative wire to the 9v.
Got to do this to every speaker voice coil. Everyone has to move up it not change it to make it go up.
Hope this makes since to you
Here is some pictures as it is hooked up right
This is left channel of the 2 channel amp
This is right channel of the 2 channel amp
This is the right way to have the speakers hooked up in your case
Hope this helps
(power acoustik system)
2 batterys, 1 power
vibrationcustum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help with this i am an idiot
(power acoustik system)
2 batterys, 1 power
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Are they in a common chamber or separated chambers? If separate are they vented?
Most likely it has nothing to do with your "polarity". I am willing to bet cash money on it that your enclosures are mis-tuned. Vented cabinets are VERY sensitive to even the tiniest differences, and even if they WEREN'T, you cannot "see" the differences anyway. If you are asking about the EXTREMELY low frequency (in the range of one or two cycles per second) "breathing" of the cabinets, that is amplifier channel differences, and signal in the recording, NOT polarity. Why are you not running in bridged mode, anyway??
Bridge the amp before you go thinking there is something out of phase, I bet the "breathing" stops, or is at least identical.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
deezy21 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
The subs are in a common chamber and are vented in the middle. And when i have the system hitting hard one sub is hitting noticeably harder. I thought i mite have blown something so i switched the wires around going into the amp and one subs always hit harder. So is it because its a 2 channel amp and i have to bridge them to fix them? If so how would i bridge them and my amp is bridgeable??
thanx for the help
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

Notice on the speaker terminals of the amplifier, it should tell you which 2 of the 4 terminals are the bridge connections.  Leave those 2 connections connected.  Remove the wires from the other 2 terminals.  Connect those 2 wires together.  I know that one of them is a positive and the other is a negative.  Do not connect them back to the amp.  Just insulate them.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic