icon

choosing an amplifier for system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cbadizzle 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

My apologies if I come off a little clueless, but this car audio stuff is like learning another language. I just drive a 1998 Dodge Durango w/ the Infinity Premium System (Ironically all the speakers were blown when I bought it. Premium, whatever) and I recently bought new speakers and a new receiver: Alpine Type-S SPS-600's and a JVC KD-R300. From my research, that receiver will power those speakers no problem. If I'm completely wrong, please let me know. choosing an amplifier for system -- posted image. I bought a C10 Kicker Subwoofer a while back (couldn't resist the price) and I thought I had an amp that would power it, though it turns out I do not. Kicker puts out 300w and the Amp only powers 240. choosing an amplifier for system -- posted image. So, before I completely ruin my sub, I need some guidance or words of wisdom as to buying the correct amplifier for the job. I would like to keep the amp as inexspensive as possible, but enough to keep good quality. The Kicker puts out 300 watts with 4 Ohm (ohm is where I became lost when trying to read up about this) so I would obviously need a subwoofer amp to power that. I figured I can just use my 240w amp for the speakers.

Links to speakers, receiver and subwoofer:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10098228&catid=20114 Speakers
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10111526&catid=21981 Receiver
http://www.bsless.com/c10-4.html Subwoofer

Thank you for your time.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
cbadizzle wrote:
Alpine Type-S SPS-600's and a JVC KD-R300. From my research, that receiver will power those speakers no problem. If I'm completely wrong, please let me know. choosing an amplifier for system -- posted image.
You are not COMPLETELY wrong, but I'd never use deck power. Period. If you have an amp, use it. Decks are FAMOUSLY optimistic about their output power. Ohm's Law says that NO deck, without a switching power supply, can make more than 14WPC real-world power.
cbadizzle wrote:
I bought a C10 Kicker Subwoofer a while back (couldn't resist the price) and I thought I had an amp that would power it, though it turns out I do not. Kicker puts out 300w and the Amp only powers 240. choosing an amplifier for system -- posted image.
Fisrst, woofoer don't "put out power". That number is how much power it can handle on a continuous basis. Use the amp you have, you'll be perfectly fine with 240 watts.
cbadizzle wrote:
So, before I completely ruin my sub, I need some guidance or words of wisdom as to buying the correct amplifier for the job. I would like to keep the amp as inexspensive as possible, but enough to keep good quality. The Kicker puts out 300 watts with 4 Ohm (ohm is where I became lost when trying to read up about this) so I would obviously need a subwoofer amp to power that. I figured I can just use my 240w amp for the speakers.
As I said, use the amp you have, you will NOT ruin wour woofer any faster with that 240 watt amp than you would with a 500 watt amplifier. For now, run the speakers with deck power, but know that you'll want to add a small amp later.
cbadizzle wrote:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10098228&catid=20114 Speakers
Those are OK, but know they are relatively entry-level.
cbadizzle wrote:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10111526&catid=21981 Receiver
If it does what you want it to do, another "decent" choice.
cbadizzle wrote:
http://www.bsless.com/c10-4.html Subwoofer
Thank you for your time.
I'll be reserving judgement here, as I am not the biggest Kicker fan you'll ever meet.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
cbadizzle 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

This answered all my questions. Thank you very much! I now understand the whole mess about how much power the sub can handle and what amp to use. Thank you for clearing that up. I will use the 240w amp to power the sub and I actually have a 100w amp as well. So, like you said, that should be enough for the speakers next to the deck's power, for a little better performance?

I know the speakers and subwoofer arn't the best in the business. But, the speakers are cheap enough, yet provide better sound quality than others I have compared them to. And let me tell you, anything is better than what I have now. I have to keep my bass turned all the way down just so my speakers don't "fart", not to mention I only have the front door and tweeter speakers equipt. The rear were just too terrible to keep going. As for the subwoofer, it was 45 bucks new in box never been used, can't beat that. Over all, this set-up should produce an okay sound, I'm not trying to win any competitions, haha.

Thank you haemphyst for your help.

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
I know the feeling of "having better than I did have"! Been there, done that... :) Also, can't beat 45 bucks, NIB! LOL
One small correction: The amp will be instead of the deck's power, not in addition to.
Any further questions, just let me know! I'll do what I can for ya!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
cbadizzle 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2009 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

Ah. Though I know the deck has a built in amp:  50W x 4 MOS-FET power. Would the 100w amp just a better choice anyways or would it be better to run just deck power?

haemphyst 
Posted: May 05, 2009 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
Without question, ANY external amplifier will be better than a deck's amplifier.
cbadizzle 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2009 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
Okay sweet. I think I have everything figured out now. Thank you very much.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic