icon

Tinting Clear Plastic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dvlman 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hello I'm new to this forum but have been messing with car audio for about 12 years. I read in many other threads on here about looking for tinted plexi glass. Well it isn't that hard to tint it yourself, all you need is the part or a peice of plexi glass, a large metal pan that you can fill up with water a cover the peice, a stove and a box of Rit brand dye(the color of you choosing). This will work for any clear plastic as far as I know. I have never tried and not got it to work.

1.) First you need to clean the part I usually use windex or other surface cleaner and clean the part really good.

2.) Next fill the pan up with water and stir in the dye, bring it to a boil.

3.) Place the part in the water dye mixture and keep the water boiling with the part in there.

4.) The longer you boil it the darker it will get but it does take a while. I usually check it in ten minute intervals.

5.) Rinse the part of and let it cool on its own.

Its just that easy. It is a long lasting durable finish that will last for a long time. I smoked the face sheild on my motorcycle helmet, done a bunch of dome lights in cop cars in red.

Sorry if this is somewhere else on this site, I went through many pages before posting and didn't see it. 

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmmm...interesting...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
d_rock_81 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
i have used this to dye plastic parts but never thought about smoking with it, i'll have to give it a whirl. thanks for the tip and heres one of my own. If anybody decides to do this make sure you lay down newspapers and have lots of paper towels handy, its very messy and the wife might get made if your doing this in your kitchen and your counter tops end up colored!!
Dustin Rockney
Rockstar Autosports
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
 I am very interested in trying this.....Where can you buy the dye online.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

boogeyman wrote:
 I am very interested in trying this.....Where can you buy the dye online.

Walgreens, any grocery store...........

diverdown269 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

I use transparent vinyl. It comes in several different colors I't looks like window tint, but is applied like a bumpersticker

Look up Oracal 8300 Transparent Vinyl

Some fear the Abyss... Other, chase it into the DEPTHS !!!
pubwoofer 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2009 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
Tamiya also do a tint paint, it is called "smoke" the more you spray on the darker it gets but my choice would be the modern alternative of using vinyl trim as mentione above.
soildcustoms 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
d_rock_81 wrote:
i have used this to dye plastic parts but never thought about smoking with it, i'll have to give it a whirl. thanks for the tip and heres one of my own. If anybody decides to do this make sure you lay down newspapers and have lots of paper towels handy, its very messy and the wife might get made if your doing this in your kitchen and your counter tops end up colored!!
same process for abs and pp? or does it change at all
ledmodman 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2010 at 2:47 AM / IP Logged  
I read this post and thought " OMG why is somone putting so much workinto somthing simple?" Ok so plexiglas can be tinted easily with transfer fild but it is is curved or heat formed plexi thats not a realistic option. However you can tint plexi with two parts clear and one part black auto paint ( autocolor or PPG). Spray the inside of the pexi to give it a perfect finish and on the inside you wet sand with 1000 grit till you recieve the tint you desire, after you spray it the more you wet sand the less tint the plexi will have. This really has to be done carefully if you get carried away just on one side of your project you could end up with uneven tint but I will tell you it hides much much better when you pray from the inside of your project.
If you can cut it and get me DC power I will mod it.
joseph.lapointe 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2011 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  
hey can you do this with sunglasses too. i cant fine the red glasses from xmen. i want the same sun glasses from xmen.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic