icon

tilt sensor for rims

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
keysersoza 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2009 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Wondering if tilt sensors are any good for protecting rims. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Need something for when they don't jack up the car. They just put blocks under it and pull valve stems out to drop car on bricks.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 4:16 AM / IP Logged  
A tilt sensor will not work in your application. It would not even work if they jacked the car up a bit.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  
The DEI 507M works great for a jacked up car, never heard of them cutting the valve stem tho. I doubt there is any thing that will work for that...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  

You need tire pressure sensors in each tire that talk to your alarm.

I've never seen anything like that, but it would be cool.  If the alarm is armed and the tire drops below 20psi have it set your alarm off.

I know they make aftermarket tire pressure sensors, maybe you can find a company that offers them and see if they can do anything like that. 

Kevin Pierson
3002steve 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

my clifford tilt triggers before the wheel is off the ground by jacking the car up

nothings will help if they cut the valves...cant say ive heard of that?

you could run 2 differant style sets of lock nuts to slow em down   

angelars 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2009 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson, that's a great idea. I'm going to look into my cars tire pressure sensors and see if I can tie into them. That would be GREAT if it worked like you said.
In the mean time logic dictates that common wheel locks (like these) should always be used to protect wheels.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
I've had a wheel lock loosened in 30 secs with a hanmmer and a good chisel, I'd plump for 2 good sets of wheel locks, leave a window open and buy a German shepherd, it worked for me.
angelars 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
As with any other kind of lock there are good ones and bad. Of course a cheap lock is easily by-passable, but a really good lock is nearly impossible to by-pass. Several years ago I was selling my car and wanted to keep the rims/tires. The only problem was that I couldn't find my key for wheels locks, or the number that you need to have a replacement key made. I didn't think it would be that hard to remove four lugs, I mean even if I damaged the threads I could always replace that lug with a new one, so my father and I started trying to remove the locks on the lugs. We used everything imaginable to get those locks off the car, and nothing worked. There is no doubt that a good set of locks work, the problem is that they may decide to take your entire car when they see that you have them, so make sure your alarm is not easily by-passable.
Also the DEI rep told us that the 507M takes a snapshot of the angle which the car is at when it's armed. Any variance to that angle and the alarm is set off. Best place to install one is in the rear of the car. They don't cost much so I'll be trying one out soon to see how well it works. One thing is for sure, it won't hurt you to have one.
dismay 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 3:54 AM / IP Logged  
Which way should it be oriented when you mount it? long way front to back or side to side? diagonal? does it sense tilt in both directions? or only the long way?
Why would it be better to mount in the back? the angle of the vehicle is the same everywhere. thanks!
angelars 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
dismay wrote:
Which way should it be oriented when you mount it? long way front to back or side to side? diagonal?
Front to back.
[QUOTE]Why would it be better to mount in the back?[/quote]
It's much easier for a thief to jack up the car in the back then in the front or side. Odds are they will try there first. Also when you mount in the trunk it's basically weather proofed. Not so when mounted under the hood.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic