icon

car audio problem, 97 grand prix

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hdj20 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but im new. So heres the story. I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. I recently got a 1000 watt system hooked up to it. 4 days later my car died while driving. Got it to jump start once and died soon after. So i put it battery on charger at 2v overnight. Next morning took it off charger it started right up. So i turn the car off go back in a hour to start and leave for school and it will not start. I noticed whoever wired my system, the amp power cord instead of going to the battery it is wired to the fuse relay box. I have no idea what needs to be replaced or what to do. Any suggestions, ideas, would be helpful. Thanks!
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
"the amp power cord.."
Is there any other wires going to the battery?
Was the install with the FACTORY stereo?
I think that the AMP is staying on and draining your battery...either that or the Alternator is no longer charging your battery.
You can check to see if you are getting about 14Volts at the battery with the car running. If NOT then the alternator is bad. Also, have someone check your installation....or better yet take it back to whoever installed it.
ken_woofers. 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the remote, is run to the fuse relay box and this is keeping your amp on constantly which in turn drains your battery. Check the remote wire's location, if it indeed goes to the back of the stereo, theres another possible problem. Factory stereos have a single constant 12v + and a switched 12+ which tells it to turn on when you turn the key to on. Yet the constant keeps internall timers tracking time, and if the remote to your amp is connected to the constant this will keep it on while your car isnt running. After market stereos have remote leads to keep this from happening. If none of these are the case, like the guy above says check that alternator. good luck my friend!
Serielle Verkabelung
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  
Ummmm...I dont think wiring remote to constant will make car shut-off while driving...Check the bolt they attached the power wire to the fuse box...Betcha a dollar its loose...Hope this helps please post back
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged  
Also check connection of battery terminals
M.E.C.P & First-Class
hdj20 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
It appears everything is hooked up right. A mechanic said it was fine to hook up the amp to that box instead of the battery. i was just told a cap would solve the problem by many people locally.
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
ummmmmm...i dont think a cap is going to help your car stay running...is it hooked to input or output of fuse box??? did you physically check bolts/nuts...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
hdj20 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
its not like the fuse box in the glove box its a fuse relay box under the hood and its disconnected from there now. im just driving around without system got a different battery in and had it running fine now i just need to figure out what caused this or how to prevent it?
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
ok...was it hooked to input/output of relay box under hood?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
i own a 97 grand prix and have seen a few cases where the nut holding input power wire on relay box becomes loose...car shuts off...did you notice if the bolt was semi-loose when you removed the power wire???
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic