icon

sticking solenoid common?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
katit 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

I have issue with generic aftermarket solenoid for trunk release. It's one of those round ones with cable.

It seems that once in a while it will "hold" on cable. I use AUX in Viper system and all is well except for those occasions. Cable itself hooked to mechanism and it's not binding, it's all good. There is prett strong return spring also, but it seems like there is something inside. I was thinking maybe my relay sticking, replaced but still same issue.

Did anybody have similar problem? If so, what brand/source will be good for solenoid? I got mine from eBay

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 5:02 AM / IP Logged  
A shot of WD-40?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 5:28 AM / IP Logged  

you need to find out what is sticking - is it sticking mechanically or electronically.  If it is electronically you could have a bad relay (doesn't sound likely) or the output from the alarm could be sticking.

If it is a mechanical issue some WD40 may work, or you may simply have a bad unit.

Do you have any idea how much current it draws?  Are you using a standard 30A relay?  How do you "unstick" it?

Kevin Pierson
katit 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

you need to find out what is sticking - is it sticking mechanically or electronically.  If it is electronically you could have a bad relay (doesn't sound likely) or the output from the alarm could be sticking.

If it is a mechanical issue some WD40 may work, or you may simply have a bad unit.

Do you have any idea how much current it draws?  Are you using a standard 30A relay?  How do you "unstick" it?

Hmm... Didn't think about alarm output.. I fix it by pulling cable, I have to remove plastic cover for that. So, it's mechanical.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I would agree it's mechanical.  If you can access the spring you may try to replace it with a bigger/stronger spring.  Of course you have to make sure you don't go too big, otherwise the coil won't be able to pull it in.

I think the wd40 idea would be the first thing I did.

Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Guarantee it's from the cable to the lock and something's jamming, worth while testing the alarm output, can't see a relay sticking unless it's mounted wrong, terminals should face down. Get out the WD. which as a piece of useless trivia, I have to tell you stands for War Department and it was the fortieth formula they tried!
katit 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I was watching it very carefully, cable doesn't jam, I increased spring load a little. It almost looks like something get's bind inside coil because I have to pull cable with moderate strenght to release. I will try WD 40, nothing to loose, right? :)
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

Water Displacement, the 40th formula worked.

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2009 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  
Craig I'm going to murder my brother in law, 20+ years with Texaco, mostly in lubricants!  It's still along with gaff (duct?) tape a wonderful product. Got another one. World war ll, coke plant in Germany shut down, no "formula",  so they throw in any old rubbish, chief scientist tastes it goes "fatastiche" hence Fanta.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic