icon

2000 bmw 323i cd changer wiring pinout

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phathom 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have the pinout or what wires do what function for the factory cd changer wiring in an E46 (99-06) 3-series? I want to install an aux adapter for my Ipod, the wiring is there for the cd changer and there are kits that do it, but they are $90-$175. From what I see here
https://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8697/wirejde.jpg
There are a total of 10 pins, I know 1 of those has to be 12v+ and another is a ground, which I believe are both in the 3 pin connector.
All the kits for sale feature 2 RCA inputs (L,R) which makes me think that 4 of the wires in the 6 pin connector are L+,L-,R+,R-. I just don't know which ones. That leaves 3 other wires (2 in the 6 pin and 1 in the 3 pin). I know that the kits also trick the head unit into thinking a cd changer is present, I believe this is done by a ground loop by connecting 2 of the wires together which would leave 1 wire which I think is the signal wire that tells it which disc/track to go to and other info like that. Does anyone have info on what wires do what in this?
If no one has info, what would be the best way of me testing this, as I 1: don't have an aux adapter, and 2: don't have a cd changer to test with. I figure I can find 12v+ and ground pretty easily, but the others are more the problem that I can see. Please help, thx.
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
The other pins are probably databus wires that carry more than one signal. Hence why they make an adapter that are $100. So unless you are an electrical enginer and know how to build circuit boards I would suggest buying the adapter. Plus it will be a lot cleaner.
phathom 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
Well of course there's at least 1, possibly 3 databus wires there. Honestly I don't need anything other than to get the headunit to think there's something there and then audio inputs to put the signal there. I can build circuit boards, but I'd have to know what wires I'm dealing with in order to build one that would work with this. Also the connector is behind a panel in the trunk so it would be clean anyway.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2009 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

BMW did offer an aux input for 3 an 5 series models, X5 also.  however it is only for build dates after 09/02. I do have the instructions for the above pieces.  the BMW radio sees a fixed resistance across the left and right signal inputs which activates the AUX feature on the radio. i have other info on the 10-pin ports at the rear of the radio chassis also.  the AUX wiring is not in the CD Changer port and visa versa.

m

phathom 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2009 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
I found the pinout for it here:
2000 bmw 323i cd changer wiring pinout -- posted image.
My cd deck is obviously one before 09/02 so does this one work the same way as far as the aux being enabled? I'd think that the "Enable" on the cd changer plug would be used to activate the cd changer feature on the deck so I could run rcas through the R+L+R-L-.
I just don't know what the enable feature on the wiring needs to go to it to make the head unit think that the cd changer is back there.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2009 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

on my info, i have the following:

the three pin plug connects to pins 4, 9, and 10 ... battery, ground, and data.

the six pin plug  connects to pins 1, 2, 6, and 7... left+, right+, left -, and right -.

i don't have pins 3, 5, and 8 being used.

m

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

Keep us posted and let us know how it works out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic