icon

renault megane cabriolet 1997

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chrispot 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2009 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
my old car was a toyota supra mk3 which i had for 11 years with no electrical  problems at all just the head gasket at 147,000 miles, my present car is a mk4 toyota supra, no problems as yet,   it seems to me that the japs are good at building cars as you do not mention any japanese manufacturer.  luckly the meganes the wifes car. (unlucky for me as iam the one that fixes it). regards chris
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2009 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

chrispot wrote:
    it seems to me that the japs are good at building cars as you do not mention any japanese manufacturer. 

it should seem that way to everybody in the world by now unless they are just ignorant or just refuse to believe it. the proof is in the pudding.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2009 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
CK, you guessed why I ommited the Japs, having said that 2 x Nissan Maxis,both autoboxesa t 75,000miles, u/s Ac on the first. Now 1999 Galant, 60,000miles in 2 years,used 24/7, water pump went last xmas, flex pipe to front of exhaust couple of months ago, now head gasket. Back in the 80's I had a couple of Galants, again autoboxes failing, one at 36,000 miles. I'll get either a Legend, a Mits FTX (it's got a trunk) or a 2.5 Galant. The truth is the head gsket was probably tied into the water pump faIlure and if you don't flog them to death like I do you're probably right about the longevity.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2009 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

if the timing belts are changed at the proper interval, the engine is not overheated or run low on oil, they seem to run for ever. i still own (and drive) a 1984 Nissan 200sx, over 240,00 miles on it now. still gets better mileage than my newer ones too. i dont even change the oil in it anymore, i dont think i have for 6 years now. i just change the filter every 2000 miles and add 1 quart of oil.

jap cars do have stuff that breaks for sure, but besides the normal stuff i.e. timing belt, brakes, filters, battery, CV shafts, they are far less problematic by a long shot.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic