icon

amp cutting off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kwguy 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys i have a 2008 silverado crew cab and i built a box for two 10'' kicker l7's under the seat and to me it sound preaty good eventhough allot of people dont share my oppinion, my problkem is that if i cut of my equalizer to where i dont have any mids  only the subs and i start raising the volume it starts hitting harder but gets to a point were the amp protects itself all i do is turn off the hu and power it back on and works but it does that on some bass songs or when i push itamp cutting off -- posted image.

do yaall think the amp is not really the 4000 watt they sold me and i need more power http://www.champaudio.net/merlon_amplifier.htm the amp i have is the 1900pro  and i think thats my problem if i upgrade to a db drive platinum 200watt amp will that fix my problem?

thank in advance

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have any idea of the impedance of the speakers?  Are they single or dual voice coil woofers?  Is it a 1 or 2 channel amplifier?  If it is a 2 channel amp, did you bridge the amp?  Did you wire the speakers in series or parallel?
kwguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
Option 1 (parallel/parallel) = 1 ohm load
Voice coils wired in parallel, speakers wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 1 ohm mono

amp cutting off -- posted image.

that is the way i wired the speakers thy are 4 ohm dvc and the amp is 1 ohm stable with 2000rms 400max on the output 1 channel

i am an idiot 
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Have you used a volt meter to see how low the voltage is dropping when the amp is cutting off?    With the amp playing just below the level that makes it cut off,  Meter leads on the power and ground terminals of the amp.  Take note of the lowest reading you see.  Let us know what you find out.
kwguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
ok ill try that this weekend and now that you say it it makes sense because the amp draw allot of current even my parking lights dim when the radio is playing and if im stoped idleling for a while the voltmeter on my truck drops from almost 14 volts to like 10 and it does not sound as loud
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
No, that's certainly not a true 4000 watt amp, and it may not really be 1-ohm stable.  That is a 4-channel amp?  Do you have any other information on it other than that sketchy web page?  What channels do you have the speakers connected to?
Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  
Did you read the owners manual, especially the part about parallel operation?  Are there jumpers that have to be moved, or is it done with switches?
alaisneo 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
well the amps 4000 watts max not rms..that you have to keep in mind. That 10 is a great speaker...match it with a great amp....get a 1000d mono block or something that will pound hardcore. I always like to go digital with subwoofers.
I love sound
kwguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
sorry if i confused you with that info the amp is only one channel suposed to be 4000 w max and like 1900 rms and it does say it is 1 ohm stable
merlon_audio 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, I personally Have one of these Amps in my car running at a .5 ohm load in my car on two of the Merlon Audio 12" M7 2ohm DVC in a ventented box. its loud and I was amazed that it actualy played at .5 ohms. I resently metered it and it was 143 on the dash. Check the length of your ground, the ohm load on each voice coil of the woofer and then the voltage of the amp while its playing to its max. Also make sure your using true 0 gauge wire that thing sucks some power.
Merlon Audio
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic