icon

8 sub suggestion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2009 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  

Looking to get 2 8" subs. I am looking for SQ over SPL, however I do listen to some hip hop/rap so I would like something that can pick up the bass. I am planning on using a PPI 460.2 to power them. I am going to bridge the 460 into 2 ch. but bridged it can only handle a 4ohm load. SO they would either have to be single 4's or dual 2's.

I was thinking of Image Dynamics but am open to other suggestions.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2009 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
The IDQ8 is a great cheap sub... I don't care what anyone says!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2009 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
IDQ 8 incher is a great sub for the price.
Custom Enclosure Design
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2009 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
Is this a 4 channel amplifier?
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
Is this a 4 channel amplifier?

Seems I am the idiot here. Its not a 460 its a PPI A404.2, one of the old Art series amps. It is 50x4 @ 4ohms, 100x4 @ 2ohms, and 200x2 @ 4ohms bridged. According to PPI it is only stable to 4 ohms when bridged, however I have run it bridged to 2 ohms without any problems. I am chalking it up to luck that nothing went wrong when I did that but since the amp is in mint condition and I can't readily get a replacement I want something that is 4ohms.

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
an 8 inch W7 from JL audio is just about the best 8 i can think of but it is a 3 ohm speaker so you might not want to consider it even though i dont think it would make much of a difference
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
I had thought about the JL W7 but it seems like such a massive speaker. These are going in my Mach 1 that I drag race so I would like to keep the weight to a minimal. The W7's look like 1 of them weighs more than 2 of most speakers.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
01trublugt wrote:
I had thought about the JL W7 but it seems like such a massive speaker. These are going in my Mach 1 that I drag race so I would like to keep the weight to a minimal. The W7's look like 1 of them weighs more than 2 of most speakers.
you are right, they weight a lot. probably a little more than 20 pounds, but they are really nice speakers. i loved the one i used to have and im still really mad that it got stolen.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic