icon

hooking up scanner for alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bowzer 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2003 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

i tried hooking up the scanner the way it says... red = constant 12+   black = ground    and mine has a blue wire = armed output (-) ... i have it hooked up this way, and as soon as i hook up the blue wire to the orange wire(armed output (-) alarm) the scanner became activated... even with the alarm set it still was going non stop... so i hooked just the blue wire to the orange wire(armed output (-)alarm) and once again it started going non stop with alarm set or not... the ground wasnt even hooked up...

if anyone can give me some help it would be greatly appriciated... i have a Vampire Combo Alarm w/Remote Start

maybe my alarm sucks...

ber
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2003 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
what you need to do is acut your starter kill wire the orange wire and place a diode with th estripe facing the alarm inline now connect the blue wire of the scanner on the side with the strip now it wuill activate when the alarm arms.
bowzer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2003 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

sorry, but could you possibly draw me a diagram? im really bad with directions... pictures speak a million words...  like actually cut the whole wire? or do i put the diode on the end of the blue wire and have it tapping into the orange wire?

thanks

ber
Anthony1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  

I am the same with instructions as u are.  I tryed using a diode like that it did what it was supposed to, but my problem was still not fixed.  I was installing a CLA scanner.  I gave up , but think I will try again.  I was told by many, that I need a relay.  My scanner would always stay on, so a relay should give me a better ground so that the scanner will work remotely. on/off. 

bowzer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  
i just need a little diagram showing exactly where to put the diode
ber
enforcerviper 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
I've got a CLA scanner as well.  I believe the problem is with the scanner.  I bought another Varad scanner, and using the same 3 wire connection the scanner turns off when the car is started.  Now I got an extra CLA scanner I can't return.  BTW, the VARAD scanner is MUCH better.
rolex_p 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

i had that same problem last week. i didn't use any relay or diode to make it work. try to use dmm and find a wire from your alarm that will be grounded when your alarm is activated (alarmoff=infinite ohm value; alarmon=zero ohm value). when you find it, connect the blue wire of your scanner to this wire.

good luck.

bowzer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

i realized that when my car is running, the scanner doesnt turn on, but when its off then the scanner turns on... so obviously my orange wire is my starter kill? im not sure... only other wire i think i can hook it to is my "door pin (-) trigger" which i dont think would be a good idea....

thanks for the replies guys

(didnt mean to rhyme there)

ber
bowzer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  

if anyone knows how i can make the scanner turn on with my alarm please let me know. once again i have it hooked to my orange wire which says its (armed output (-)), and i recently found out its my starter kill? because when the car is on the scanner is off, and when the car is turned off, the scanner turns on... so if there is anything i can do about this please let me know...

i havent tried that diode idea yet, im not sure what diode i need (what size or whatever) if anyone can help me please speak up! hehe thanks

ber
Qveon 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
ok here is how it goes:
red - 12v
blk - ground
yellow - armed out (-)
Now if you have a starter kill you need to diode isolate the two circuits.
and yes you cut the wire(s) to put the diode inline.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic