icon

bass cuts at high volume?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ryan223741 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 6:36 AM / IP Logged  
dont tell me id need a new alternator???
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
I would assume the Big 3 is in your future...Get a digital multi meter...Yes a new alternator would be appropriate...But lets first see what the voltage is doing...The picture is how to install a cap...1. put a 10 watt resistor across leads ...2. Mount at bottom of trash can(that way you can cover it w/ trash and wont feel so bad everytime you throw something away)
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
Wait, wait... Hold the phone!
ryan223741 wrote:
...thought it would be perfect, but it does the exact same thing??? im starting to think my amp is a piece of junk
Didn't you say in your OP that it was a Power Acoustik?
In the immortal words of Adam Savage:
"Wull, there's your problem."
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ryan223741 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
With a volt meter, set to DC volts, or the 20 volt DC scale if it is not an auto-ranging meter.  Black lead to the ground terminal of the amp, red lead to the power terminal, now have someone turn the volume up to right before it would shut off.  Notice how low the voltage is dropping.  Let us know what you come up with.

i got da multi meter, if im reading the right scale on it, its about 13-14volts and never drops below 11-12 volts when the bass hits right before it shuts off...???

ryan223741 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
i saw something today that worries me and maybe a clue to why my amp shuts off...the speaker wires running from the amp to the terminal on the box...well on the box end of the wires, they are alittle dark, looks like they are getting too damn hot.....wth causes speaker wires to do that?? can junk terminals on a box do that??maybe a short somehow???ALSO can you use TOO THICK of speaker wire?????instead of splitting the speaker wire, for neg&pos i used both for each. basically ive got twice as thick of speaker wires as anybody else ive seen.. could that be causing this????? what do yall think?
ryan223741 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Wait, wait... Hold the phone!
ryan223741 wrote:
...thought it would be perfect, but it does the exact same thing??? im starting to think my amp is a piece of junk
Didn't you say in your OP that it was a Power Acoustik?
In the immortal words of Adam Savage:
"Wull, there's your problem."

what do you suggest

paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
Something similar happen to me before.  My 4 ch. amp would cut off when i reached high volumes.  Reason was because one of my speakers blew and i didn't realise it.  So when I started to play at loud volumes the coil would cause a short and short out my amp and send it into protect then once lowered it played normal again.  Just a suggestion ...I don't know what u consider speaker or sub abuse
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

...and yes when my 4ch would short out my mono block would continue playing

ryan223741 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
nah they brand new subs, they all bump the same, and ive checked all voice coils...
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
I would recommend reading The Big 3 sticky...And How to Set Gain sticky...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic