icon

new enclosure or new subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2006 chevy crew cab not much space for subs I have 2 kicker cvr's in a prefab single chanber box under my seat subs firing up. and a hifonics 1210D. They hit ok but not that hard. I dad a fosgate punch 3 in a vented enclosure in a 2005 chevy cavalier that hit hard as hell. I really want that kind of bas again. even when i had two alpind sws's in seald boxes that i made they hit harder than these tow cvr's. It will be hard but I think I can make another box would this be better or better subs. the kickers barely fit in the enclosure i have any ideas would be great and thanks in advance.
dennyboy 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
I would think new sub and amp, because of the lack of room in pick up truck cabs. if you still want the back seat that is.
soundcontrol 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  

You have to consider the vehicle difference first. Everything is louder in a hatchback car or suv then in a truck. Includding your current setup.

Look at all the room you had for your subs to produce bass compared to now where they are firing into the bottom of your back seat.

Try a simple test of taking your subs and sitting them on top of your back seat and have them firing forward.

Then try them firing upwards sitting on your back seat. Should be a noticable sound difference.

It's been awhile since I've worked on a Chev ex-cab and varies by year but is there any way to have your subs firing forward under the seat?

What size subs do you have, and about what kind of air space do you have for each sub?

Just do something
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
I have 12" subs in a prefab box that is susposed to be 1.6 per chamber but it is a single chamber probably 1.6 total 52" long, 14" high, and 6" deep. and there is no way to face them foward in my crew cab. seat space is just a little over 6" i was thinking about trying to build a ported box under the seat with just one of my 12's
soundcontrol 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

I'm guessing 1.6 total. Is the box those dimmensions exactly or does it have some dips and bends to fit snug in your truck? If so then 1.6 total for sure.

Even if you went ported for one it would sound better but not super great  1.6cuft for a ported 12" box is kinda small. Would be ok for a single 10".

Back a few years ago working in retail we had a lot of problems with getting great sound out of small boxes with a lot of good name brand subs because they weren't made for such small air space. We did have a lot of luck with 400watts or more(a pair, 200 per sub) on MTX Road Thunder series subs and some cheap brands that you would get for free when you bought an amp, or box, or whatever promotion they would run.(they didn't sound great in much else but loved small boxes)

Now there are a lot of comapnies making flat subs and subs designed for small enclosures and tight airspace. I would try a few places to see if they have any available that you can hear in a smaller sealed enclsoure. That may be the way to go.

Just do something
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
get new subs that work better in small enclosures. those kickers are being starved for airspace and thats why they dont sound so good. kickers love airspace.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic