< Prev Topic Next Topic >
raylo 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2009 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

vehicle: 2009 Toyota Tacoma, v-6, 4wd, at

system: Clifford Matrix RSX3.5

Bypass module: fortin pk-all

I spent a good chunk of the weekend on this install and it went pretty well.  I was actually feeling cooky and mnot thinking that I'd have to bother you guys again, but.....Everything works fine (locks, dome, arm/disarm, park flash, etc) except the truck won't remote start.  Cranks just fine but no start.  I suspect it is an issue related to the bypass module so before I dig deeper I thought I'd ask.

First issue was that the transponder connector on the truck doesn't exactly match the picture Fortin provides.  It has the same number of pins (7) but has 3 empty slots, not just pin 3 as indicated in the Fortin manual.  Anyway, since it isn't clear which way is up inregards to finding pin#1 I connected it counting in the only way that would make pin 3 empty and that leaves the 2 center wires for rx and tx, supposedly 4 and 5 as per the manual. Then I followed the programming instructions. hold doen the button, insert black conector, etc.  The Fortin LED started flashing before I got the second connector inserted and when I inserted the key it just kept right on flashing, not 10 flashes like the manual says.  It is still down there flashing.  Anyone know is this is a problem or what it might mean?  I'm ready to pop the dash together and drive this thing but want to finish this up first.  So close....

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, no problem.
The first troubleshooting step would be to unplug the bypass module, insert a known good key in the ignition switch, and try the remote start.
If the remote start works fine with a good key in the ignition, you do have some type of bypass problem...........however, if it doesn't work, forget the bypass for now, because something is wrong with the rest of the install.
raylo 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 5:13 AM / IP Logged  
Excellent suggestion!  I should have thought of that!  Anyway, I did it and it fired right up.  Off to work... I'll have to get back to diagnosing the bypass later.
raylo 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

Well, it turned out to be simple.  When the bypass module failed to program properly I just had it connected temporarily to the truck transponder rx and tx wires by twisting.  I wanted to make sure I had the right wires before making it permanent.  So I soldered on some pigtails to the truck rx and tx wires to make it easier to get a good twist to the fortin wires and sure enough it programmed correctly on the first try.  Then I soldered the pigtails to the fortin wires and buttoned it all up.  Sweet!

Thanks for the great troubleshooting tip, Chris.  That narrowed it down to the bypass in about 2 minutes ans sure saved me some time.  :-)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic