cooling fan

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdubicki 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hello All,

I wanted some opinions on whether or not I needed to install a cooling fan or not. I am fully prepared to install a Stinger cross flow fan blowing air up. The thing I am concerned about is the heat being able to escape. I will be running two Alpine amps, the MRP-M500 and the MRP-M300. Because the sub box butts right up against the back seat, the area between is a little tight and confined. Before this I was running a 5 channel with the fan with no problem. I just don't want to add any additional items if it unnecessary. I have included a visual of what it looks like, though it is not exact. Any comments would be appreciated.

cooling fan - Last Post -- posted image.

2005 Honda Accord DX
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
I would install a fan in that case but that is me. I seen alot of amps overheat in the same place your amp is. The heat will escape unless it is sealed off all the way. Hope this helps.
Oh yeah forgot to suggest something make the fan blow air through the side not on top. Most amps get cooled by the air going through the side.
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
A consideration may be that the amp is designed to escape heat from the face(the side with the logo) so when upside down the heat radiates back into the circuitry. Some manufacturers warn about this, Id check to see if Alpine does. Other than that, I mounted two Alpine amps recessed in a backseat just like that. I folded the seat down on hot days. Never had a fan or a problem.
This is what I do for FUN!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 3:25 AM / IP Logged  
Mount the amps as low as you can, heat rises. A couple inches of clearance between the floor and the bottom of the amps, and as much space as possible above the amps will give you the best possible results.  Do you need a fan?  Without knowing your listening haibits, that is a hard question to answer. 
jdubicki 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all your help guys. I am going to put the fan in there, better safe than sorry. The back seat area is not totally sealed off so the heat can find areas to escape, and the fan will just help it along.
2005 Honda Accord DX

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic