icon

Relay Buzzing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zepdad 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2010 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
Looking at the picture on Radio Shack's site I can see the cross shape.  Easy enough.  I'll pick up the relay in the next day or two and post my results.  Thanks 
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2010 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
My tuppence worth first, Craig, how much for those bloody relays? I pay 60c. each for 10 plus from RS Components in the UK (I think Farnell in the US is part of their organisation).
Second I'm assuming draw is 1 amp per light bulb for incandescent bulbs assuming 10watt each rating. Why not use a power transistor + 1N 4004 + 50k resistor, it's pennies. I humbly admit to not remembering the circuit but I'm sure both you Craig and Kevin P. know what I mean, I believe one of you published it here.
zepdad 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2010 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

Completed initial testing with reed relay.  Works as advertised, very quiet with nearly imperceptible buzzing during voltage rise/fall.  Mounted underdash it should work well for my application. 

Was talking with an electronics expert and he suggested I reconsider the transistor setup.  It will give nice feedback of the voltage rise/fall and be completely noise free, maybe with longer life.  The only concern would be heat.  Any idea how much heat a low voltage LED setup would generate through the transistor?  Maybe 150ma total current, no more than 200ma.  Would I need to heat sink the transistor or is it of little concern in my application?

zepdad 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2010 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  

This may have been posted before but I located an excellent solid state relay for auto applications, the Hongfa HFS33.  Silent, with easy screw terminals.  Rugged construction and no heat with my low voltage LED install.  Much better than the fragile reed relay (yes, I broke two reeds simply trying to wire and shrink wrap).  More expensive at $25 shipped but well worth it IMHO.

Manufacturer product page http://www.hongfa.com/pro/HFS33_en.html

Article discussing use http://autospeed.co.nz/cms/title_Using-Solid-State-Relays/A_110574/article.html

Web store http://www.futurlec.com/Relays/SSRDC100V40A.shtml [Note: This is only online retailer I could find.  Relay is shipped direct from Taiwan, took about 10 days.  No problem with Futurlec, order handled professionally.]  

Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic