icon

which sub enclosure to build?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eric21 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2009 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

I am going to build one of the 2 boxes poorly drawn below. Boths boxes are able to be taken in and out of my crew cab pickup truck. I want to know which box will work better.

Box 1 - gives me more air space per woofer but i'm worried about sound cancelation. (2.2 ^3 per woofer)

Box 2 - gives me less air space per woofer but i've made these in the past and they work well.  (1.45^3 per woofer)

The speakers are old Protech's (I have 12 laying around in my garage) When I had these in walls like shown in box 2 in my other car, its loudest tone was at 56 hertz in a 1.1^3 per woofer, so they do work ok in a small box.

I think I would prefer box 1 because of the extra air space so that they will play lower but do you think they will cancel out?

which sub enclosure to build? - Last Post -- posted image.

ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2009 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
With 4 15"s Im guessing you'll be in stereo. Box 1 with a center divider and 2 spkrs mounted close to each other on 1 side and far from each other on the top. Invert 1 spkr form each side and run them push N pull. Over stuff the box with a poly mesh. It still works for mono but stereo results were louder. Thats just my opiniarian.
This is what I do for FUN!
eric21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
With 4 15"s Im guessing you'll be in stereo. Box 1 with a center divider and 2 spkrs mounted close to each other on 1 side and far from each other on the top. Invert 1 spkr form each side and run them push N pull. Over stuff the box with a poly mesh. It still works for mono but stereo results were louder. Thats just my opiniarian.

I will be using 2 mono class D amps, can you explain why stereo is louder than mono, i'm curious because i've been out of this game for a long time nad I just got the itch again.

Also i'm wondering why to invert the speakers, is it to get more airspace in the box, or for someother reason?

Thanks for the response and i'll definitely give your idea a shot

ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Gotcha, so essentially you will be stereo. After trying both setups, my pals and I decided 4 woofers(4ohm mono) sharing airspace wasnt as loud as 2 sets of 2 woofers(2ohm stereo) I am not sure exactly why. As far as inverting a woofer, the same result may be to cross polarity of 1 woofer in each chamber instead. So when the signal causes one woofer to flex in, simultaneously the other flexes out. Some say that push n pull has to be configured with 2 woofers opposing each other on the same baffle. Whatever! When sharing air space its best to mount your subs close together on the same baffle. They sound better running the same direction rather than having sound waves intersecting. So if you have to face them 2 different directions see if the push/pull fancy's your ear more. Try everything!
This is what I do for FUN!
eric21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks man, you cleared it up good for me.

Anyone else have any opinions because I know there are some pretty knowledgable people on here. I'm even open to other box configurations but I want to use 4 - 15's in some way because I have them and because of my amp setup

Thanks again

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic