icon

2005 altima headlight problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2009 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
I need a wiring diagram or schematic for the headlight, high beam, and parking light circuit on a 2005 Altima. I'm trying to instal a DEI 545t auto headlight control module. Every alarm wiring info I find tells me to tap into the headlight and parking light wires under the hood at the fuse box. I know I can get at the wiring there, but I'd like to wire up the module to the switch. That way, it will exactly duplicate turning the headlight switch on, and even be able to flick the high beams on. If I tap into the headlight wiring under the hood, the switch will still have to be turned on to turn on the high beams, and the whole point in the auto headlights is to not have to turn on the switch.
hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
the reason why you might not be able to find anything at the stalk is because a lot of newer Nissans have a transister based network at the stalk, that sends a signal to the BCM. It can't easily be duplicated by simple relays and diodes. Unfortunately, this happens to be one of those newer Nissans where this is the case, sorry. Your only bet here is grabbing them under the hood at the IPDM.
The combination switch is in constant communication with the BCM, depending on the positioning of the switches on the stalk, it sends out a varied output depending on what is on/off. The BCM then interprets the signal and sends an according command via the CAN lines to the IPDM, which controls the lights through integrated relays.
MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician
todds440 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  

I don't know if this will help you or not but if you go to www.pdftown.com you can download factory manuals free.  They have a bunch of nissans including 05 altima.

CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
I wonder if the dash cluster, radio, etc, will light up when the parking lights are powered on (with the 545t module, not the light switch). If it does, then I'll just end up wiring it up under the hood. The only drawback will be that the switch will have to be turned on before turning on the high beams. I have the auto headlights on my suburban and my wife loves it, thats why she wants them on her altima. On my truck, they come on at dusk and to turn on the high beam, I simply flick the wiper switch stalk and they come on. Every diagram (DEI, AUDIOVOX) also says to use both headlight wires and diode isolate them. Would it be better if I just used a relay on each wire, or are the wires they refer to low current wires that trigger a factory relay?
hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 4:53 AM / IP Logged  
If you grab EVERYTHING under the hood, no the dash lights will not illuminate with the 545t. If you go to RED / Blue at the dimmer switch for parking lights however, then yes the parking lights AND illumination will come on also.
As for the high beams, yea there's no way around having that switch on unless you leave the switch on, and cut the lights with some relays, but I wouldn't recommend that. Unless you live in a deserted area where you need your high beams every night, it's not worth it.
You will need to use relays under the hood because the wires after the IPDM go straight to the lamps. The IPDM has all of the relays built in, so there's no low current wire to grab on to.
MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician
CutDog504 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, thats pretty much the info I was lookin for.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic