icon

british ioplay and a california sony

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

OK, lets do this the hard way. Look at the top left, top 2 plugs, the far left are the outputs, i.e. going to car the next two over, I assume bottom plug I see is from the radio, ignore that.  Actually look at top right, the top plug is speakers, lower power. Note the clips are in different positions. Power is always off centre. Top plug from the left, Top row, rear left+ front left+ front right+ rear right+, lower row, not surprisingly, rear left -   front left-  front right- rear right-.

Lower plug is power. top row, lower plug again from top row our left, opposite side to clips, ACC*  switched out (amp, antenna etc) Blank, Blank**            Lower row, Ground, illumination, 12v+ perm* Blank**

*ACC and Perm (or "battery") may be transposed check with the colours on the iO. ** The blanks are various muting positions, vss a la some pre 03 VW/Audi, or phone audio in also VW, some Mercedes. Hoping this helps. Test before solder and seal!!!

cdifani 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  
Howie:
Thanks again for all your help, knowledge, and forebearance. I think I've got it figured out! I'm going to create my own "quick connect" plugs for this application as I've got a couple of boxes of various size Molex plug pairs. I'll pull the Sony radio out first, and then make up the Molex plugs. Essentially making my own "adapter harness".
And hopefully they'll work too!
Thanks again,
Chris
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 5:51 AM / IP Logged  
british ioplay and a california sony - Page 2 -- posted image.

Description

Volkswagen 1987-Up - Into Car

Product Specifications

• Plugs into car harness at radio
  • Power and 4-Speaker
  • 16-pin connector (2x8)

Allows installation of an aftermarket radio using the existing factory wiring and connectors. No cutting of factory wiring is needed.

british ioplay and a california sony - Page 2 -- posted image.

Description

Volkswagen 1987-Up - Into OEM Radio

Product Specifications

• Plugs into OEM Radio
  • Power and 4-Speaker
  • 16-pin connector

The 71-series harnesses are designed to plug into the factory radio. Can be used to repair a harness where the plugs have been cut off or damaged.

Each of these adapters sell for around 15 USD.  I have no idea how costly they are in the UK.  It is going to be very time consuming to make the quick disconnects you are talking about.

As Howie already pointed out, the constant and switched wires may be backwards, depending on whether the ISO "standard" was on Mercedes or the rest of the Euro patterns. 

cdifani 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Well, thanks a lot for the information... However I have discovered that ever present "fly in the ointment" as we say here in horse country. My Sony MEX-5DI has RCA output plugs for all it's speakers, fronts, rears, and subs. Nothing like what the ISO plug assumes. And while the Sony connector plug (into the stereo head unit) is a 16 contact "chassis", there's only 6 connectors that are actually used. All the other's are empty "blanks".
So the next question is just how the heck do I wire up the separate RCA plug connectors? Thinking about it here, I would guess that I should use a "RCA to bare wire" adapter for all the speaker connections. 4 adapters to begin with, and then 4 more on the "other end" of the IoPlay connection. For a total of 8, which is going to be a big handful of RCAs.
I tell you, this is beginning to be the proverbial "pain in the neck"... which is working its way down... way down!
If anyone's got a good idea, besides the RCA to two wires adapter, I'm literally all ears!
Thanks again for all your time, and knowledge,
Chris Difani
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
If the sony radio has only RCA outputs, you will need to get an amplifier of some sort. The RCA jacks will not power a speaker.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
Chris, all is not lost, does the Sony have aux inputs? Does the iO have a alternative line output like a Parrot? Even if not you could take two of the speaker output channels from the iO, run through an attennuator, to RCA (or phono or whatever) and into the Sony, then flip the Sony through to aux input, if no aux input, use the CD (autochanger input). Easy!
cdifani 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 4:08 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, I'll believe you... all is not lost. However while the Sony does have aux inputs, it's thru their Sony bus system... which is something I'll have to buy.
The IoPlay does not have any auxiliary inputs. IoPlay has gone exclusively with Bluetooth connectivity. They have a number of adapters, but they're all Bluetooth adapters in one form or another. The only possibility of a "aux" input is the microphone 3.5MM female plug. I don't know if I can use that plug for something besides the microphone, but I'm willing to try! In earlier IoPlay models they had a couple of wired inputs in addition to the Bluetooth. But this latest model seems to be strictly Bluetooth. Or at least that's the way I "see" their web site specifications page.
Also, just a note, I have two amps on my system, one for the subwoofer, and one for the other speakers (of which there's 8). The amps total 1500 watts.
And now back to your "easy" solution. Give me a bit more detail. Remember who you're dealing with here! Electrical genius is not part of my job description. In fact I'm lucky if I can spell "electrical"... and we're not going anywhere near that "genius" word.
After re-reading your post, I think I maybe might understand it... kinda. If I'm reading it correctly, the Sony does have an "auxilliary", that I can change to thru the headunits control system.
However that leaves the question of the fabled "attenuator"... whatever that is. If we're talking about an FM modulator, that connects to the Sony's external antenna, I'm already doing that for my XM Radio (satellite radio). So that's not going to work.
But I can get the Sony "bus" expansion system. That provides extra inputs, like a CD changer, things like that.
And that's my situation as of this moment. I'm beginning to think I should have purchased a new stereo headunit, one that has Bluetooth, and "aux input" already integrated to start with. But life's a learning experience! And I'm definitely learning here!
And thanks for all your time, and knowledge, I really appreciate it.
Chris
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
Sony autochangers send the audio signal to the head unit via RCA or phono connectors, the propiortary (spelling) plug simply controls its functions; plug any source in and it will play on selecting "changer". Attenuators, basically drop the signal level from speaker down to a lower level of voltage which is then preamped through your head unit and then out to your amps.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
I am not 100% sure but I think the units will only switch to changer if they see a changer connected to the end of the data cable. 
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
Bugger it Mr. Idiot, I thought you were the expert on audio british ioplay and a california sony - Page 2 -- posted image. Going back a few years before dedicated  iPod interfaces,  I'm  sure we just plugged the RCA/Phonos (what do you call them in the US? The French call them "Cinch" connectors.) In to the back of the Sony from an MP3 player or Pod and selected changer, you had no track or file etc. control. Mr. Id, please explain to Chris what audio attenuators are.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic