icon

dual electric fan

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2009 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

Do you mean ac as in air conditioning as opposed to alternating current?

You want to switch on the fans automatically when you turn the air conditioning on?

Are you looking to switch it based on the compressor kicking on only, or on all the time you turn the A/C on?

ga_goosh 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

a/c as in air conditioning. and yes when ever the a?c is on then the fans will be on in slow speed. if it makes the engine get hot then the temp switch will turn them on in high speed. will this do it?

dual electric fan - Page 4 -- posted image.

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
So you won't need the fans at all if your A/C happens to be turned off?
Or do you plan to have the A/C on all the time?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
Your pic will not work. Do you want the fans to come on high or low when the air is on?
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
I'll assume you don't want to have to turn the A/C on in order for the fans to run, and that your A/C control line is ground switched.
With those assumptions, you can just wire it like this-
dual electric fan - Page 4 -- posted image.
Turning on the A/C will turn the fans on in low serial connected mode, and also turns them on low when the lower 190 degree switch closes.
If the high temp switch closes, the fans will be connected in full power parallel mode.
With the ignition off, the fans will remain off regardless of the thermo switch states.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 3:59 AM / IP Logged  
I think the A/C compressor wire will be a positive wire. I have not went back to see what kind of car we are dealing with, but if the compressor has a switched positive wire, let me know.
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I'm not sure what he was planning on picking up for the A/C control input, but since his/her diagram indicates it's a ground switched control, I went with that.

Either the compressor control or the main A/C switch could be used,  Advantages and drawbacks to either method I guess.  If the compressor control is used, the fans will be switching on and off continuously as it cycles the compressor. Normally that'd be harder on the relays with all the extra switching, but since it's the low power mode it might not be so bad. 

Maybe he/she was planniing on using the control switch for the A/C itself, with a ground-when-on output. Either way, that's what I had to assume was being used for the control, since his/her diagram wouldn't have worked if it was high switched.

Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

My suggestion for the A/C would be to have the fans on HIGH whenever there's a call for A/C. Engine heat isn't the reason for fans ON with A/C ON.. it's A/C high side pressure. Some of the newer cars sense this to determine when to turn the fans on during A/C operation. Lack of airflow across the condensor on a hot day with the A/C on will spike pressures and unpleasant $BIGNUM damage may result.

Jim

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
The original post says the A/C has been removed; is that still the case or has it been unremoved?
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2009 at 5:44 AM / IP Logged  

On June 18 the OP asked..

"ok with this set up how hard would it be to hook ac up to this and have it function the same?"

<shrug> I dunno..

Jim

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic