icon

1992 mercedes 500sel stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tekkie 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hi to all, guys and... gals. Just wondering if any one has any wiring information for a 1992 Mercedes Benz 500SEL V8 5.0L with automatic transmission. This car has factory stereo/radio installed but its busted. I need to install an Alpine CDE-102 deck as a replacement. Does any one have the CORRECT wiring color code for the factory stereo?
     This car comes with 4 FRONT DOOR speakers, left and right, may be 2 of them are TWEETERS; 2 REAR DOOR speakers, left and right, and 2 REAR speakers in the TRUNK; it also comes with a single center high mounted speaker above the rear view mirror in the front windshield. I don't think that this car has BOSE system installed from the factory, but I could be wrong.
     If information for both with and without BOSE system could be given, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
     That's all the information I have as is right now, this is my neighbor's car, so I do not have the full details. If addition information is needed, I'll try to find out. Thanks again.
I Smell Voltage! & Lightning is my middle name...
tekkie 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, does any one know where I can get a wiring harness adapter for this specific car and deck? Or if they make the adapter at all? I asked the guys at Best Buy and they said they don't have it or no body makes it. It this true? They recommended me to do an amp bypass. I don't know exactly what that means, but I guess its no different than cutting the factory connector and connecting the right wires. But for now, I just need the wiring information.
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

last try. If i remember the amplified system will have 3 seperate amplifiers. in the rear where the power antenna is and should be your antenna connection there too to a tuner. I  don't think the radio had an antenna behind it.  But the speakers will be paired off with BLACK/ red and BLACK/ white wires twisted together. i think the woofers were in stereo  and on the same amp, and the tweeters were in stereo on the same amp..   been a long time

but either way.. there's  no interconnects i've seen.

speakers are almost always twisted pairs and should be easy to find from the amp in the rear panel.

tekkie 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
If I were to do an amp bypass, do I ignore all the amps altogether? I see there are a total of 2 amps in the left rear corner of the trunk along with the power antenna. One Tuner/Amplifier, and a Left/Right Audio Power Amplifier. If I were to do the amp bypass, will I have to re-wire the speakers to connect to the new deck? Please advise...
lil evo 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
Might want to throw a meter on those speakers to see what resistance those speakers are presenting to each of the amplifiers. The Alpine is designed to handle 4 channels, so keep that in mind when you're doing your wiring. If your total resistance per channel is lower than 4ohms, you might run into some issues.
tekkie 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
The speakers in this car come in pairs, for example, the left front door has two speakers, but they are wired together through the same wire. Can't I just hook up one channel output to one of the paired wire for the speakers or do I still have to measure the resistance of both speakers?
Can I or is it feasible to run two door speakers (front and rear door on the same side) to one channel output of the new Head Unit?
If I am measuring the resistance for each channel of paired speakers, should I look for resistance >= 4 ohms?
On a side note: If I want to do an amp bypass and run speaker wires directly to the Head Unit, what gauge wires should I get and what type to avoid electrical interference/noise? Are there insulated speaker wires available?
tekkie 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
Does anybody have any leads?
What is the proper way to do an amp bypass? Should I just rewire all the speakers to the back of the new Head Unit? Please give some suggestions...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic