icon

silverado courtesy lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tj.poorman 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  
I'm installing an underbody light kit for my silverado and I want to use them as courtesy lights, one for each door. I know I need to diode isolate the doors, but I was wondering which wire to tie into. I know most of the door wires are at the BCM, and I was wondering if the one I need is there, and if so which one?
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
So you want them to come on when door is opened only...? Have you perused the relay section yet...? I dont think you are going to want to hook up directly...Use a relay...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tj.poorman 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
The lights are going to be hooked up to a switch and also to the 4th channel on my r/s. I intend to use a relay, I just need to know which wire to energize the relay. I only want the one side to come on with whichever door is opened.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
I am having trouble finding the wiring info for each door.  I do not know when they stopped using the pinswitch on the side of the dash, Open the door and look for a plastic pin sticking out from the side of the dash.   If there is no switch there, the switch is inside the door at the latch.  If you can find the harness that goes into the door, and follow it back to a plug, or are willing to pierce the insulation on the wires, I can tell you how to locate the correct wire.  Let me know if you are willing to do that.
tj.poorman 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 5:22 AM / IP Logged  
the switch is inside the door catch. I traced the wire back to the harness at the kick panel the two wires were tan and GREEN/ black. There was a third wire at the catch end of the harness, black, I assumed for ground.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  

With the door open, one of those wires will be directly connected to ground.  With the door closed it will not be grounded.  If you find a wire acts that way, that would be the wire.

Above is assuming the vehicle is negative trigger.  If it is positive somebody will let us know. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic