icon

memphis amp fades out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
05' Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4, (ALL)Memphis M-class 500.1, and a 400.4, 3-way(4 pass) electronic x-over, 6.5" components Front, 3-way 6.5" rear, 10" sub mounted in re-supported center console (downfire) prefab box. Yellow top batt, 1.5f cap. Pioneer/Ipod.    System has worked perfect for about a year. Problem: Sub fades on and off in a random manner. Sometimes it wont play with system upon start, it fades in 20 minutes later. Sometimes fades out halfway home.    Customer states light on sub amp stays on when sound fades out. The problem has become more frequent over time. There's no pattern linked to Sound Volume, Temperature or music type.    Occasional 2 week spans of problem free use occur. Sound is affected only on sub. The fade out sounds like someone is just turning volume down. Suggestions?   I did the install so the problem has to be electronic. I may just need to know how to narrow down troubleshooting methods.
This is what I do for FUN!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
Sub amp or head unit.  Pull them and test them both.
Support the12volt.com
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
With the issue being random in nature, I was wondering if there are any practiced methods of rooting out the problem. Each time I check out the system it happens to play just fine. My next step would be to swap amps which would either resolve the issue or really narrow it down. Memphis has changed designs so a new amp would require a new amp rack cover to be built, resulting in a mismatching display. |HEADACHE| Before I go there, I'd like to check all other possibilities.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
ianarian wrote:
With the issue being random in nature, I was wondering if there are any practiced methods of rooting out the problem. Each time I check out the system it happens to play just fine. My next step would be to swap amps which would either resolve the issue or really narrow it down. Memphis has changed designs so a new amp would require a new amp rack cover to be built, resulting in a mismatching display. |HEADACHE| Before I go there, I'd like to check all other possibilities.
swap the radio
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
In order to not change equipment for the fun of it, there are a couple things you can do.  If the amp is connected to the sub output jacks of the radio, use a set of Y adapters and connect it to the front or rear jacks.  Let him listen to it for a few days and report back to you.  If it does not happen while connected to the other jacks, you have a radio problem.   Are you sure that the power light remains on when the amp cuts out?   Also with the system playing, hit the top of the amp with your hand or a rubber mallet.  These amps are pretty well built and do not usually suffer from bad solder joints, but it could.  Also grab the RCA inputs of the amp and move them around a bit to see if you can make it cut out.
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
The hell, thanks man, I guess I was brain spoogin my troubleshootin ideas. I like the Y adapter process. Muchas Gracias!
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
I finally got back to this thing, the sub amp is actually 16-MCA300 - Memphis 150 x 2 ClassAB So I found that noise filters were put in shortly after a new Pioneer deck.. Hmmm    The new deck was a product upgrade so he re-used the old lead adapter, which only connected Pwr, Gnd, Rem,and Mem. Gender directed him to connect RCA's connectors directly to the outputs of X/O. (Question1)Bad Idea, No?. Well coincidentally the left sub chan on the X/O blew at some point not helping the bridged Mclass-10D2/Series. I removed the X/O, and filters and the Engine noise is fierce and will require future investigation.(Or he can re-filter as he pleases) (Question2) If anyone has followed this, is it possible the filter on the X/O output blew the channel and the sub fading was the bridged amp receiving 1 input?   More questions to follow-           
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2009 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
memphis amp fades out -- posted image.
Hopefully an Idiot has some time for suggestions on repair.
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
The rca grounds on that HU are most likly to be bad
Ive seen alot like that
The thing is that the sub is 500w rms and you only have 300w ?
and when you say bridged m-class subs what are you sayin? 1 sub bridged on the amp/
The amps are mono cant be bridged
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
Problem:agreed. Bridged is the wiring config of the amp. Should I fix the X/O? Question! What caused the problem? Question! FYI, Memphis claims this amp can rms 500w.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic