icon

99 ford taurus problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ccityroadshop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, having a problem with a ford taurus everything is stock on it, well you have to turn the volume almost all the way up just to have it at normal listening volume not sure what is wrong, the speakers are not blown, everything seems fine, its my cousins car im gettin her to get a new headunit for it tommorrow to see if that fixes the problem, ive never personaly done a radio install on a ford taurus but have heard about them, the power for the head unit is ran from somewhere in the trunk am i correct?
mustang GT convertible with lots of performance mods... Alpine M500 amp with sealed enclosure, 10 inch kappa perfect, clarion cz500 head unit, kicker ks speakers all around
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
the factory amp is on the left side of the trunk. whats in the dash is mainly just a control unit. to change the radio you will need the dash kit and special harness that will reach all the way to the trunk.
if you dont want to get the separate wire harness then you will have to run speaker wires to the trunk to bypass the amp and you will need a long antenna adapter because the antenna stops at the factory amp. im also pretty sure that the antenna is not a standard ford/universal antenna so you might need a met-40FD10 and then use your long extension on that to make it to the front.
the dash kit also requires you to transplant the AC controls and the side mounting clips from the stock faceplate. its a lot of work but none of it is really hard to do so good luck
ccityroadshop 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
alright thanks for the help, I will be doing it sometime tonight or tomorrow just needed to know what i was in for and what i need to purchase
mustang GT convertible with lots of performance mods... Alpine M500 amp with sealed enclosure, 10 inch kappa perfect, clarion cz500 head unit, kicker ks speakers all around
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

+1 with soundnsecurity

Also, you might have to modify the sub dash just a bit to get the new kit to fit properly.  There has been some Taurus' that i've done that didn't require me to modify it so hopefully you'll be lucky.  Even then....it's not too bad.  Oh...the connections you need from the factory amp are on the bottom of the amp, and it's easier just to get the kit that comes complete with the wires, antenna extension with the ford antenna adapter.  Running wires is easiest to do down the driver side and all you'd need is a panel popper to give you enough space to tuck the wires under the panels without having to remove any of them. 

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
here is a link with all that you need with out a mach radio, Same on I bought and it fits nice.
DASH KIT
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
ccityroadshop 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
awesome guys thanks alot hopefully it all goes smoothly, first radio install ive done in about 6 months since circuits been outa business lol kind of out of the swing of things lol been stuck in olive garden serving tables non stop the past 6 months not as much fun 99 ford taurus problem -- posted image.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
ccityroadshop wrote:
awesome guys thanks alot hopefully it all goes smoothly, first radio install ive done in about 6 months since circuits been outa business lol kind of out of the swing of things lol been stuck in olive garden serving tables non stop the past 6 months not as much fun 99 ford taurus problem -- posted image.
sounds like the story of my life
ccityroadshop 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

haha really?  Yeah I wish I could get on as an installer somewhere but cant find anything around here right now and have to pay for school somehow so waiting tables it is for now lol, I worked at circuit city for almost 2 years and was just on the sales floor in the mobile electronics department for about a year and a half and then finally got an installer position and it only lasted 6 months then the store closed I was just starting to get good at it all well I thought i was good, I'm sure there are tons of people on this forum that could run circles around me at installing but it was fun while it lasted

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
The install itch is hard to replace...Good Luck on install and job hunting...Ive heard that the techs at best buy are doing details now...HHGregg sells mattresses, No more car audio installs. Where were the mattresses when i would spend all day there on a commissioned floor w/ no customers???
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
soundnsecurity 
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
ccityroadshop wrote:

haha really?  Yeah I wish I could get on as an installer somewhere but cant find anything around here right now and have to pay for school somehow so waiting tables it is for now lol, I worked at circuit city for almost 2 years and was just on the sales floor in the mobile electronics department for about a year and a half and then finally got an installer position and it only lasted 6 months then the store closed I was just starting to get good at it all well I thought i was good, I'm sure there are tons of people on this forum that could run circles around me at installing but it was fun while it lasted

yeah, i installed at circuit for over 2 years and then moved on to installing commercial security, fire and cctv camera systems. but, as things go ive beed demoted to working at a restaurant as well. the sad thing is that i make almost as much as when i still worked at circuit city.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic