icon

no sound from sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i_want_the_boom 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
This is the deal, a friend of mine asked me to install his system for him he has a 1993 ford taurus the speaker is a lanzar maxp154d, the amp is mtx ta4501 and the deck is an alpine cda 9847. first problem i ran into was when i connected the wire harness to the factory one no sound came out of the speakers on the inside the sub played fine. so then i disconnected all the inside speakers and hooked them up one at a time i had 3 hooked up and when i hooked up the last one all the others cut off and no sound came out the inside speakers. so i disconnected the last one the music came on, then i reversed the wires on the last speaker why i dont know and the music stayed on but it was real low coming from that speaker. I told him i didnt know why it was doing it he said it was cool. i just set the fader to just play the front speakers everything was good subs and all, bout 2 weeks later he came back and the sub wouldnt was making a little mumble noise on and off.  real low the sub would come on when he start the car in the morning then cut right off and go to the mumbling noise the amp is on and no protection light is on the sub is wired in parallel to a 2 ohm load the amp i think is like 500 rms the sub is like 1000 rms does anyone know what could be wrong
If the trunk dont rattle then its not loud.
If it's to loud then you're to old.
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

Also i anyone knows why the inside speakers was doing that as well would be helpful

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

Meter the sub and make sure that it's still good.  The reason that the music would cut out when you hooked up that speaker is because it's either grounding out or it too is toast.  The display on the radio will still show you just won't get any sound...You might want to check that speaker out and make sure the positive terminal isn't touching metal, or that the actual speaker wire isn't pinched anywhere.   

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

how would i meter the sub? where would i put the ends, and what reading would i be looking for?

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you for punctuation....makes it easier for us to understand what your trying to say...

Grab your DMM and put it on the ohm setting.  Hook the positive lead from the meter to the positive terminal on the sub and same with the negative.  you should get a reading from probably 1.8 to maybe 2.5.(if it's wired for two ohms).  another thing you can do is get a 9v battery and hook the positive and negative terminals to the subs positive and negative terminals with speaker wire.  your sub should move out...if it moves in, no big deal, you just have the wires backwards but your sub should still be good.

Try that and let us know what you find..

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
the radio cuts out because there is something wrong with the speaker or the wire itself. you can test this with a meter by setting it to continuity and hold one lead to any ground and the other lead to the suspect speaker wire if you get a reading from the meter then you have a shorted speaker wire, make sure you do this with the system off.
next, test BOTH coils individually with an meter and it should read around 3-4 ohms for each one. if that checks out then try to shake the sub and listen for anything that rattles. if you hear it rattle then the voice coil is starting to get loose and your sub is toast. try to push the sub in and out and make sure it moves freely and it doesn't sound like the voice coil is rubbing inside the gap.
if your sub checks out then you should inspect the speaker wire to make sure it isn't pinched or sliced open anywhere or melted.
if that's ok, then that only leaves your amp to be the problem. check your signal connections and RCA wires to make sure they are in good shape with no cuts or tears in the jacket and that the jacks themselves are nice and snug in the connectors.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic