icon

is this a good component system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigrank916 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Im looking at this set of components and would like to know if Focal is overrated or not. It is the Focal 165 VR3 set of 6.5s, 4s, and tweeters with crossover. Its only $320 and I think it will fit my truck well. My truck is a 91 Silverado ext cab. I can use my Sundown 125.2 to power them. My local shop carries them so I know they are bias but what do you guys think?
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have never had the oppurtunity to hear/install Focal...But perusing through some other posts, they were not to friendly...Is that the price range you want to be in...? If you post a range ...and if you want some recommendations  for other speakers ...or just the info on the Focal's.
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
doesn't the 91 silverado only have the front 4x6's in the top of the dash? no speakers in the doors and 4x10's in the back C pillar? are you going to cut holes in the doors for the 6.5's?
bigrank916 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:
I have never had the oppurtunity to hear/install Focal...But perusing through some other posts, they were not to friendly...Is that the price range you want to be in...? If you post a range ...and if you want some recommendations  for other speakers ...or just the info on the Focal's.
Thats what I heard also. Not really a set price range yet but thought it was cheap for Focal.
bigrank916 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
doesn't the 91 silverado only have the front 4x6's in the top of the dash? no speakers in the doors and 4x10's in the back C pillar? are you going to cut holes in the doors for the 6.5's?
Yes it has 4x6s in the dash but I think in the rear as well. I was thinking of an adapter or something for the 4s in the dash. Im pretty sure its not 4x10s. I do want to cut holes in the doors for the 6.5s cause I heard and seen that is a great spot.
bigrank916 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
I will also take any advice u guys have on what brands u like and sound good. If there was a range I would say between $300-500 but maybe more.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
bigrank916 wrote:
soundnsecurity wrote:
Yes it has 4x6s in the dash but I think in the rear as well. I was thinking of an adapter or something for the 4s in the dash. Im pretty sure its not 4x10s. I do want to cut holes in the doors for the 6.5s cause I heard and seen that is a great spot.
in component speaker systems it is best to keep all of the speakers as close together as possible. if you stick the 6.5 in the door, the 4 inch mid up on the dash and the tweeter on the A pillar( im guessing) it might sound weird because of the odd locations compared to the next speaker down the line resulting in lots of floating images.
i would go with a 2 way system and drop the dash location as an option and put it all in the doors if you want it to sound like $300-500.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
I rockin Focal k2 comps in my rear doors. Opiniarian: Focal products havnt impressed me enough to justify the prices they ask.(I got mine for free from a sponsor) The set your lookin at can only be optimized with a custom install and PLENTY of power to boot.
This is what I do for FUN!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2009 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
bigrank916 wrote:
Im looking at this set of components and would like to know if Focal is overrated or not. It is the Focal 165 VR3 set of 6.5s, 4s, and tweeters with crossover. Its only $320 and I think it will fit my truck well. My truck is a 91 Silverado ext cab. I can use my Sundown 125.2 to power them. My local shop carries them so I know they are bias but what do you guys think?
If you pay full pop, be sure you get a kiss to go with it! ALL Focal dealers will be terribly biased, they HAVE to be, in order to sleep at night with the money they charge for such mediocre product... Much like Rockford and Kicker.
Yeah, I'd say "over-rated" is a VERY good description of what they are, ESPECIALLY for that kind of change. Even at retail prices, the three-way I have in my doors wouldn't have cost that much!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic