icon

800a2 running mono at 2 ohms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lotaimpalass 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

OK I havn't seen the inside of my setup for several years, but I belive I am running 4 4OHM DVC 8"@2 ohms mono to my amp.  From the search I did it sounds like the 800a2 is not made for it.  So why am I not having any problems?  I hit 132.8db at my pass seat two years ago with a box way too small.

4 DVC 4 ohm RE8"

800a2 or .2 I don't remember which

OR is the amp actually able to do it, but not recommended

OR did I just miss something and I am running it correct?

I am a little confused as you can see any help would be great.

Thanks

Matt SHaw

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,671
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

The only thing I can figure is you are extremely lucky or you do not play it hard.  When it does break, it will cost at least 200 dollars to repair the amp.  It will take 5 IRF640 mosfet output transistors.  5 IRF9640 outpouts.   10 (.)1 ohm 2 watt resistors.  and 8 IRF3205 mosfet power supply transistors.  And they are all soldered to a mounting strip, there are not many places that will even attempt to repair that amp.

Since they solder the transistors to the strip, if you run it hard at 2 ohm mono, the transistors heat up and the solder melts, this allows the transistor to move away from the thermal strip in which they were soldered to.  When it comes off of the strip, the transistor will last about 2 seconds.

lotaimpalass 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

wow their is no way your and idiot.  SO I am guessing you have seen the inside of these amps a time or two.   The only issue I have had with the entier system is I lost my RCA outs on my head unit and I don't think it is related.  because it did it on the    4 chan also.

Thanks for the info so it sounds like I am playing with fire.

i am an idiot 
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

Lost them, as in NO output, or noisy output?    Is it a Pioneer radio? 

http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html

lotaimpalass 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

no it is a eclipse and has no outputs on my RCA.  It started of with having problems on the pass side loosing volume.  I would have to turn the volume up and down then it would come back on.  Then one day it just stoped.

I just read some one else talking about the pioneer having problems wtih grounds causing noise??

lotaimpalass 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  

I read the info you gave and it sounds like a short in a amp is this correct?  If so I would assume that it is the amp that is connected to the speakers that started shutting down first.  Or could it be just fed from the other amp and it just started at that location?

THE more info you could shed on either unit would be great.

all RCA are out sub, front and rear.  front and rear on 400.4 and sub on 800a2

Thanks again.

lotaimpalass 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
As I can tell the d3 I purchased will not get favorable reviews. Since I already own it do you recommend I gust start off doing the grounding mod before installation?
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 15, 2009 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

The D3 will be fine as long as you disconnect the negative terminal of the vehicle's battery before you perform any work on the system.  You can check it as per instructions on the page I posted.   If it reads near 0 ohms from shield to chassis of the radio, there is no need to do the repair.  If you ever have any noise issues, don't be stubborn like some others.  You get noise, check it again.  If you do have to do the repair, it is a real pain to get to the board of that unit.  However  the RCA cables are stripped and separated right at the harness where they plug into the radio.  If you strip the black insulation off of one of the cables, you can solder a ground wire right there. 

Are you refering to another topic?  I thought you had an eclipse in this vehicle.

lotaimpalass 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
I have an eclipse in it that the RCA are not working on it.  And just purchased the D3 to replace it for 325.00.  The eclipse is model 7301 so it is an older unit.  Any ideas what could be wrong with the eclipse off of the top of your head?
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 15, 2009 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
Are the RCA jacks of the Eclipse mounted to the chassis of the radio?  Possibly bad connections where the jacks are soldered to the circuit board.  If the RCA jacks are on the end of cables coming from the back of the unit, they to go bad but usually they give plenty of warning before they go completely out.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic