sony cdx gt710 head unit no sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bluecobraclone 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
I recently purchased a used Sony CDX-GT710 head unit. I connected all the wiring correctly using a harness adapter. My problem is that itt does not seem to output sound through the stock speakers in the car. I plugged in a RCA cable and it seems that there is sound output through the pre amps, just not through the speaker harness.
The unit replaced a Sony CA-860X, which worked fine, so I know the speakers in the car, etc work.
Is there a setting on this unit that turns on or off the internal amp? Worst case I'll pick up a 4 channel amp and use the pre amps to drive my speakers.
Any input is appreciated. Thank you!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Is it possible that there is a factory amp in the car and you forgot to connect the remote wire of the deck to the amp turn on wire of the vehicles harness?

bluecobraclone 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
I had to bypass the factory amp in this vehicle, so i have the speaker outputs from the harness directly connected to teh speakers in the car. the old sony unit uses the same pin out and harness configuration, so i know the set up worked on my old head unit.
i'm never going to buy a used head unit again!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
how old was the sony HU that you replaced? i ask because if it was really old then it might not have the protection features of a new deck, so it still would be possible to have a speaker problem and your old deck play fine while the new one might be detecting a problem.
just a thought.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
The 710 may have a menu setting that will defeat the internal amplifier.  You may have to look through the menu for such an option.   You should be able to download the user manual from sony's website.
bluecobraclone 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
the old unit was about 5 years old or so. i originally thought of the internal amp too, but have not been able to find anything online or in the manaul for how to disable it.
i've played with all the settings but havent been able to figure it out. help!
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

Unhook all the factory speakers. Grab a test speaker(make sure speaker is good) and connect it to any channel on the stereo and see if there is sound. You can proceed through all the channels.  If you get sound, start wiring speakers back up,one by one...The sound will probably cut-out once you connect the bad speaker...Either way at least test the HU , and see if it has sound. (make sure all car speakers are disconnected during test)

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
bluecobraclone 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
thats a good idea with testing one by one. i'll check it out this weekend. thanks!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic