vw t5 alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
energysolutions 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

Has anyone got any tips on installing an alarm (Toad 850 - this) into a 2004 VW T5 Transporter panel van?

A diagram would be great..................

Any pointers on where is best to pick up the necessary wires and make connections would be very helpful as this will be my first installation

Thanks in advance! 

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
Howie....where are you?
energysolutions 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  

mikvot wrote:
Howie....where are you?

Hi

I am in Bushmills, Northern Ireland, UK - home of the world famous "Bushmills Malt Whiskey"!

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 3:35 AM / IP Logged  
I was sleeping!  I'm at least 5 hours ahead. This is one of those mustard things that works off the vehicle's remote. There is a control box under right side dash, drop it down, all 4 separate door triggers, two front, side and rear. Refer on this site to the famous 1076 tech tip, you'll get the unit triggering every 45mins otherwise, so 8 diodes there then, indicators, BLACK/ green and black /white, same location  remove panel right hand rear engine firewall, mount siren adjacent, look inside, there's a grommet in the far corner leading into the car,  engine loom adjacent t(trace it from striker plate) holds bonnet switch, place a diode on car side, I think the colour is BROWN / red. This alarm is either activated by the indicators or door lock motor wire. I've never done the motor wires, the lock trigger is a neg going multiplex blue/white in the loom going to the driver's door.  Neg. going to lock, extend time for comfort close, neg. through a 1kR to to unlock, you might pick up motor wires inside the door.
energysolutions 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
I was sleeping!  I'm at least 5 hours ahead. This is one of those mustard things that works off the vehicle's remote. There is a control box under right side dash, drop it down, all 4 separate door triggers, two front, side and rear. Refer on this site to the famous 1076 tech tip, you'll get the unit triggering every 45mins otherwise, so 8 diodes there then, indicators, BLACK/ green and black /white, same location  remove panel right hand rear engine firewall, mount siren adjacent, look inside, there's a grommet in the far corner leading into the car,  engine loom adjacent t(trace it from striker plate) holds bonnet switch, place a diode on car side, I think the colour is BROWN / red. This alarm is either activated by the indicators or door lock motor wire. I've never done the motor wires, the lock trigger is a neg going multiplex blue/white in the loom going to the driver's door.  Neg. going to lock, extend time for comfort close, neg. through a 1kR to to unlock, you might pick up motor wires inside the door.

Hi Howie

Thanks for the help but I`m gonna need it broke down a little more

Regarding the door triggers - I had assumed that I could simply connect to the negative trigger wire at the front courtesy light ie if any door is opened it connects to negative and allows the light to come on

I assumed that if I connected to this any door being opened/broken into would drop out to negative and trigger the alarm - in this instance are diodes necessary?

Also in my loom/instructions there is mention of both + and - triggers, I assume this is to cover both scenarios and only one of these will be necessary depending on the wiring setup?

As you have mentioned it states in the installation instructions the alarm is armed/disarmed via the door lock motor pulsing positive on lock/unlock - any ideas on where/how to best achieve this?

I have organised the bonnet switch and sounder so I`m not completely useless!

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
If you open any of the rear doors and that brings on the front light, fine but I don't think it well do that so you have to go to the original contacts. You won't pick up motor wires in the driver door access, if not (and once you drop the trims you will see that loom easily), go to the front passsenger side to pick up the motor wires, you'll have to test, I honestly try to avoid fitting these alarms, they're a PITA.
energysolutions 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
If you open any of the rear doors and that brings on the front light, fine but I don't think it well do that so you have to go to the original contacts. You won't pick up motor wires in the driver door access, if not (and once you drop the trims you will see that loom easily), go to the front passsenger side to pick up the motor wires, you'll have to test, I honestly try to avoid fitting these alarms, they're a PITA.

The rear doors have their own individual courtesy light which operates only when the rear doors are opened

The other two lights (one at the front and one in the middle of the van) are both operated together from any of the front or side doors but not the rear - also these two lights are illuminated when the vehicle is unlocked via the remote (but not the rear)

I had wondered if I could connect the alarm door negative trigger wire to the front courtesy lights (which are controlled by the side and front doors) and the rear doors could be protected by connection via the rear courtesy light to the "boot circuit" on the alarm which also is triggered with a negative input

Does this sound sensible? Or daft?

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2009 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
Daft unless you want to waste three hours running the cables back to the light units from the alarm and you will still have to diode block and diode join. Yes use the alarms boot corcuit for the back 2, it will save 1 diode. Also on VWs beware failed door triggers.  Very common on Mk lV Golfs, Polos and Golf Mk lV door contacts, I've also seen 2 of your vehicles where either the side or back trigger failed.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic