Door Actuators Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ruben17 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  

Hello Guys,

I have a problem with the door actuators setup. I am trying the below relay setup, but I am doing something wrong. After I connect everything the last thing I do is connect the ground to the chassis, but when I connect it I get sparks and the wire gets hot.

Why do I get a short circuit when I connect the ground???? I notice that If I don't connect the 12V to the 87 I don't get a short circuit.
Thanks a lot for your help guys

Door Actuators Problem -- posted image.
ruben17 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

Guys, forget about this. I've found out what the problem is.

I bought this relays in AutoZne, but it seems that this relays are for some lighting applications. I verified the relay diagram and noticed that the 87 and the 87a are linked together, so that's why it was making a shortcircuit.

So if you go to AutoZne and see a 30amp relay from Federal Mogul P/N: DF005, it will not help you with the alarm applications.

Thanks for all the info you guys have here! I will try to share what I have learned here.

shawn240sx 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  

Hey I am having the same problem, can you tell me where u got you relays from?  I got mine from Kragan.  I dunno if it is the same connection where did u check it?

Thanx

240sx 92

ruben17 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

Hey shawn240sx,

I saw in the relay diagram that 87 and 87a where linked together. This is because the relays I bougt where not SPDT.

I bought the SPDT relays from  partsexpress.com  they have great prices and great service. Go to that web page and click on Mobile Security, then on your right click Relays/Sockets.

Just for info, the relays sold in radioshak and autozone are not SPDT, so to be sure order them from parts express.

Let me know if you have any more questions...

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
shawn....you need one relay for your car....
Power Lock ORANGE / BLACK SINGLE WIRE - USES SINGLE RELAY
Power Unlock SINGLE WIRE USES SINGLE RELAY * #206
* Single Wire Door Lock System- Cut Wire,(Doors Will Lock), Switch Side To Pin #87A, Motor Side And Negative Unlock Output From Alarm To Pin #30. Negative Lock Output From Alarm To Pin #85. 12V Constant To Pin #86. Pin #87 Not Used
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
shawn240sx 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2003 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

Draasch

I am installing actuators and running off the alarm system's keyless entry output.  The car doesnt have existing power door locks.  Will what you reccomended work with my set up ?  I have never heard of it done with one relay???  Is there a groud in the circuit?  Let me know

Thanx

Shawn240sx

congoman 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  

I've done a couple of cars without power locks and this is how I wired them......

you'll need 2 relays, 1 for locking and another for unlocking.

1st  relay,,,,,                                                                                 2nd relay,,,,,,

85 -------negative (lock) wire from alarm                                   85----------negative (unlock) wire from alarm

86 & 87 -------12 volt constant                                                   86 & 87 -------12 volt constant

87a--------ground                                                                          87a ----------ground

30 ---------output to actuator ( lock position )                           30 ---------output to actuator ( unlock position)

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2003 at 5:45 AM / IP Logged  
im sorry i thought you had factory door locks. i would use two relays. what unit are you guys using???
i use the omega line and they have a DLS that just plugs right into the unit and your done.
send the info.
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic