icon

ohm loads

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nissan370z 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2009 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

i need help with ohm loads..  i want either 1 or 2 speakers but i want to push the amp to its limit so say i get a 4000watt amp the rms is roughly 2000watts... at 1 ohm or something.. what do i get one 12'' 2ohm dual voice coil or two 12'' 2ohm dual voice coils or one 12' 4ohm dual or two 12'' 4ohm dual..

maybe someone has a list or a chart on how it works.. ?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
ALL loads are in ohms. "Ohm loads" is like saying "VIN number" - which is "vehicle identification number number". Stop it. You need some help with load calculations.
Now... Why do you feel you have to "push an amp to it's limits"?
Then... It's going to depend on whether it is a stereo amp or a mono amp. How many drivers are you wanting to use? What is your ultimate goal - SPL or SQ? You need to decide, before we can help you.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

It's SPL...duh!

ohm loads -- posted image.

The word, nissan, is impedance.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  
Did I miss something? ....4000w--you've already done the alt, batt, wire, conn.,?
This is what I do for FUN!
hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  
https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp
I'll also reiterate what others before have said, what is your ultimate goal, and if you really plan on getting the most out of your amp, be sure to upgrade the big 3, along with your alternator and battery first.
I suggest taking it into a REPUTABLE shop to see what's best for you.
For your education, consider the various resources on this website regarding ohms law and voice coils.
two 4ohm DVC subs will give you about a 1ohm load wired in parallel or one 2ohm DVC sub wired in parellel will give you a similar result.
MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician
nissan370z 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

spl.. well i figured it out.. i want either one 12'' dual 2ohm or two 12" dual 4ohm and i want to run about a 2000watt amp.. so far the ones i like is the mojo series from memphis and the rockford series..

what do you think? im a noob at this but im trying to learn

nissan370z 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
another question.. if i run 2000watts rms.. what do i need to do with the alternator just upgrade to 1 better one? and another battery? i just want to run a solid system that will last long too..
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

nissan370z wrote:
another question.. if i run 2000watts rms.. what do i need to do with the alternator just upgrade to 1 better one? and another battery? i just want to run a solid system that will last long too..

Yes on the upgrades...Start w/ The Big Three...You said "solid system that will last long"...What can be pushed to there limits and last long...???  Not Much...!!! Theres lots of stuff out there...You dont necessarily need a million watts(but if it is SPL your going for and 2000W...As stated Big 3,Battery,Alternator,custom enclosure and some really big power wire is in your future)

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
nissan370z 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

ok so if i go with a 2000w amp and 2 subs that can handle more then that with out under powering them? would they still have a good life?

nissan370z 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
can i run a spl speaker like the pioneer TS-W5102SPL  on a daily use? or they arent built for that?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic