icon

new tips and tricks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
nothing new...Dang...Sears sells magnetic inserts for sockets etc...There is the wire insertion tool...You can make out of copper pipe...I think it is going to be incredibily diffucult to find something new...I have lost so many of my tools...Anybody have a trick for that...??  How about using a portable cd player to play through the amp...If your not sure if it is getting signal... Is everyone going to give up their trade secrets...?? Or as howie keeps saying...Is this post dead...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Im sure you all now how to twist wires w/ your drill...How about when you run wires into doors...And your worried about where to run it...(window up/down...track...Etc...) As soon as you come through the door jam grommet...You can bring the wire(s) immediately out and make small vertical slits in the plastic and weave the wires in and out of the slits untill you get to actuator/speakers Etc...So basically the wires are ran on the outside of the door where all the actuator rods are, and not on the inside of the door.(where the window goes up/down)
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Not even bothering mounting the antenna on the glass because it always keeps falling off the window when it gets hot. Leaving it in the in the A-Pillar or the headliner close to the glass (dont notice much difference in the range).

Only mounting the program button unless they have starter kill connected, otherwise folding up and taping it beside the brain (less wires to run and holes to cut)

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
really, i've been mounting antennas on windshields for years, and find that they tend to bond better when the glass is hot and they remain there, i'd get like one in every 100 installs with a loose antenna i had to re-stick, and most of the times it would have come out when they removed it to tint or something to that effect.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

Tommy 3/8" copper tubing, OK Europe 9mm with the end cut and filed to a point, shove your cables inside, and away you go through the grommet, oops I've just sliced through 3 cables right at the grommet, think I'll stick with my extra long blunted screwdriver.  Re glass mounts, back in the days of car-phone kits, before your time, t&t, we used to pray for hot sunny days, the trick was to clean the surfaces thoroughly. DEI G4 and G5 one ways, I loose them BEHIND the A post if I can, also top of dash, works fine.

Tommy my snap-on stuff is pink, orange etc still lose em, 2 x light blue weller pyropens, looked for 20 mins in top of my (over priced Blue Point) tool box in the car trunk, still overlooked it.

OK yet another tip for wire probing without using what Kevin calls a "bed of nails" probe. Hook the testing end to the hole in the back of a Stanley knife and use the knife blade to penetrate the insulation, much cleaner.

tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

How sharp do you make those things...Geez...Yeah...Just use a one sided razor...Has the hole in the middle...Perfect size for the probe...Dont get me wrong...Theres is like a 12" blunted screwdriver in my box also...Normally i make the slit w/ something else(one sided razor to the rescue...Again)...The tool eases it through...Although i did like the sanitizer comment... Mine is now gone...Riding around somewhere still insulating the power wire......

M.E.C.P & First-Class
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2009 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
i wrap some of my easy to lose tools in bright yellow tape. i find it is the only color that catches my eye no matter what the interior color is or if it slips into a dark crack. bright pink can still blend in with a burgundy interior if it is dark and the same with bright blue or orange. bright yellow is the best by far. anyone ever lost a cell phone in a customer's car?
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2009 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  

Thats funny though...(the cutting wires w/ insertion tool)...On my very first day of being an installer...The guy training me was making a hole through a grommet w/ his pocket knife...Cut like 12 wires...Sooo instead of working on a monster truck...Then a really nice yacht...I got to put all the wires back together between the firewall...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
i wrap some of my easy to lose tools in bright yellow tape. i find it is the only color that catches my eye no matter what the interior color is or if it slips into a dark crack. bright pink can still blend in with a burgundy interior if it is dark and the same with bright blue or orange. bright yellow is the best by far. anyone ever lost a cell phone in a customer's car?

Yes...I lost a cell phone...And a set of car/shop keys...Closing time...Walking to car...Customer pulls in w/ a quick question...Set keys and phone on passenger floor board...Customer thanked me and i sat there till my wife came w/ extra set of keys...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
that happened today to me tommy, lost the shop keys in a customers car and had to end up changing all the locks and the keys. lol. also here's a little trick it's more science that electronics though, whenever your magnetized tools seem to be losing their magnetic grip or if you want to magnetize your tools that aren't, you can use a light power supply around five amps or so, and attach leads from positive and negative of the power supply to the tool you desire to magnetize, let both leads remain on the tool with the power supply on, for about max ten seconds and, voila magnetic hold like never before, you can also use a car battery, but the five amp power supply is safer and reliable and you can magnetize with it again and again!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic