the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

adding sensor to oem ford alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,428
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 5:36 AM / IP Logged  
you can get the hood pin on the inside of the truck it rests on ground you can grab it eithier under the center console pin 5 of the 20 pin connector or at the security module behind the rear seats on the right hand side on the c-pillar pin 11 of the eithier early build will be a 14 pin connector or late build will be the 16 pin connector its tan/light green eithier location
good luck
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
rgcme33 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Well,, I found the door trigger wire and the hood pin wires. One problem though...  They rest at 0v when door closed, but only rise to 1.2-1.4v when door open, instead of 12v as other have specified. Apparently that circuit runs on lower voltage. I tested all four doors and the hood pin and got the same voltage.

So now I am left with 12v that I need to step down to the 1.2-1.4v of that circuit.  I tried to hook it up with the 12v wire out from the relay, as specified in post #2, and the wire started smoking.

Could anyone tell me how to reduce the voltage I hgave coming out of the relay so I dont ruin the door pin circuit?

rgcme33 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

The procedure is pretty basic - locate your OEM alarm trigger:

|     DOOR TRIGGER|BLACK/ lt. blue      |+ |driver kick panel           |

and connect the sensor output to this wire.  You should isolate the OEM door pin from the sensor output, and in your case you will have to, because you will also need to convert the polarity.

If you can, find the specs for the output of the glass break sensor - if it is at least 100mA you can drive a standard automotive relay with it.  If it is less then 100mA you will need to get a reed relay (or some other type of switching device that doesn't require a lot of current).

Assuming it has a decent output, connect the (-) output of the glass break sensor to Pin 86 of a Bosch style relay.  Connect Pin 85 and Pin 30 to constant power.  Connect Pin 87 to the wire listed above.

For your glass break sensor you will have a few options, I would most likely connect the 12vdc wire directly to 12vdc, connect the ground to an ignition wire, and connect the output as listed above.  When the ignition is off it will rest at ground and provide ground to the sensor. 

One thing I would also look in to is if you truck has an OEM hood pin that triggers the alarm.  If it does, it may be a better signal to tap in to, as it won't cause your dome light to come on when it triggers!

I hooked it up just like this ^^^ - except that BLACK/ ltblue wire is the dome light wire, and when I triggered the sensor (keys against glass) all that happened was the dome light lit for 2 seconds. Turning on the dome light even when the alarm is armed doesnt trigger the alarm.

So next i found the door pin wire, which rests at ground and shows +1.25v when door is opened.(tested)   Well, I connected to this wire instead of the BLACK/ ltblue, and what I got when I triggered the sensor was smoking wires, and no alarm. The sensor and relay are wired up as instructed, so that my output when triggered is +12v.

Any other suggestions on how to hook this up would be great, since so far I cant get it to work. I just want the glass break sensor to trigger the factory alarm.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure the door pin doesn't rest "open" when the door is closed and ground when the door is open?
Kevin Pierson
rgcme33 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
Well, heres exactly what I found...  When i tested the wire, door closed, it showed 0v. When I opened the door, it showed 1.25 volt. When I checked for change in continuity, it showed 1 (on my dmm) when door open, and 130-140 when door closed. I just went outside to recheck this. If it helps Im pming you a link to a schematic that I fail at interpreting.
KPierson 
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

The door pin is switch between "OPEN" and "GROUND" from door closed to door open. 

Kevin Pierson
rgcme33 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

KPierson wrote:
Are you sure the door pin doesn't rest "open" when the door is closed and ground when the door is open?

I dont know, I checked the continuity, and its 1 when open, and 140 when closed.

KPierson 
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

Check it with a voltage meter - black lead on the suspect door pin wire and red lead on a 12vdc source.

One is close to zero meaning when the door is open the wire is grounded.  140 is still pretty low though - a voltage test should reveal the answer.

Kevin Pierson
rgcme33 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

The door pin is switch between "OPEN" and "GROUND" from door closed to door open. 

it sounds like this means it is negative trigger? Im not sure what this tells me. Well, I tried connecting it directly to the blue neg trigg output of the sensor with no success.  My car has been torn apart for two days and Im fraid I wont figure this out.

rgcme33 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2009 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

Check it with a voltage meter - black lead on the suspect door pin wire and red lead on a 12vdc source.

One is close to zero meaning when the door is open the wire is grounded.  140 is still pretty low though - a voltage test should reveal the answer.

The whole 1 and 140 bit, my meter shows 1 with the leads not touching or probing anything, and it shows a number from 0000 to 1000 when probing opposite ends of a single wire, the closer the probes the lower the number.

And as for the voltage test, another clue? with black lead on suspect wire and red to 12vdc -  11.65v door open,  12.91 door closed.

If any of these things sound strange, know that the door ajar/int lights/keyless/oem alarm, everything works as it should and cooperatively as well.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic