icon

jl 13.5 w7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i_want_the_boom 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

I came across one of these for the low. I wanted to build my own box for it, but i have no experience with building enclosures. Could someone tell me what the size box would be the best for this sub. Also if i should go ported or sealed, looking for more spl than sq out of this sub. It will be a single sub in a 1993 chevy caprice. And a little instruction on how to build it woud be helpful as well.

If the trunk dont rattle then its not loud.
If it's to loud then you're to old.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
what size enclosure and tuning depends in install, application, and user preferences
Custom Enclosure Design
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  

I want whatever size i can get the best sound from I like alot of hard low hitting bass. I listen to mainly hip hop music. I guess what Im asking is if i build a box as big as i can will it be louder or is there a specific size that will get the best sound and performance from the sub.

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
you want a ported box that is maybe a little bit bigger than spec and tuned to the low 30hz range with a port that has close to half of the area as the cone of your W7. the port will be pretty long so you will probably need a bigger box anyway just to house the port. and definitely throw some sound dampening(if not already done) into your trunk and the rest of your car. this should really be mandatory with older cars like yours
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
i plan on doing the sound deadening no matter what i put back there. do you know where i can get the specs for the box.
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

The sub came in a box from a car audio guy who said it was built for the sub but it looks kind of small.

i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
I actually got the specs from jl website for the sub and the box seems to be right on. if the height, width, depth port width and port height are the same as jl specs does that mean that its tuned to the same hz as listed or could it be different.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
depends on the port length also. but like i said i think you might like the sound of a bigger box that is tuned a bit lower than spec. do you want to build a new box yourself?
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
I've done like 3 jl boxes to spec and all of them turned out unbelievably good. I went slightly above parameters too. Even the bandpass enclosure with a w1 impressed everyone. Good luck....PORT INTO THE CAB~
This is what I do for FUN!
i_want_the_boom 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2009 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
Yes I would like to build my own box, but i have never built a box before. I know you said bigger and tunned to a lower frequency but i dont know what measurements the box would need to be. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic