icon

Relay Q...why am I not getting it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2G Sport 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
OK, I have searched and also reviewed the section on relays, and I still feel confused. There are 2 applications I am needing to use relays for:
Multiple lights/neon that come on when the trunk is open
I currently have one neon wired into the stock trunk light that comes on only when trunk is open. How can I add more with a relay? I need to know exactly how to do it. I am assuming I would tap into the stock wiring I am currently using correct? I would like detailed instructions like "all neon power wires connected to XX, all neon negative wires connected to XX, etc.
Multiple amps turn on with relay, and also neon light.
This one seems really confusing to me. I also need to know where to fuse.
Thank you in advance. Everyone says it is so easy, but for some reason I am not getting it. Maybe if it is explained to me in another way it will click.
2G Sport 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Ok Ok, I think I got it! According to the diagram for "Connecting Additional Devices to the Remote Turn On Lead" diagram, once 86 is supplied with voltage while 85 is grounded, it opens up 87 to flow through to 30, right? If this is correct, can I ground the multiple neon negative wires at the same place 85 is grounded? Also, lets say I wanted to use my existing amp remote wire, power and ground, a relay, and a non lighted switch to turn the neons on/off but keep the amps on like they are now(come on when car is on). Where do I wire the switch to turn the neons on/off while keeping the amps on? Can 3 neons share a common switch? Thanks.
maximumboom 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2003 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

I normally don't use the amp remote wire to trigger that amount of devices, being that your system, including the amps may either be robbed of lead signal, or you may overload... ie:... ask the lead turn-on wire to do to much... in this case i would wire the remote wire to a primary relay, and trigger it to turn on a bank of relays.... one for each neon, or device... incorporating a "true 12 volt supply" to pwer each of them.... idealy you would use a larger guage wire for the transfer from your 12 volt source.... and then split it accordingly for the number of devices you want to switch on..... it is also pssible to use the trunk switch wire by itself totrigger your primary relay to go on when you open the trunk... it's just the same as using a ground input

Eric Kappler

Future Shop

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic