icon

tint marker?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blaine b. 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2009 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  

I have seen tint shops use some sort of dark marker where there were slight gaps left by tint.

What kind of marker is this?  Will any permanent marker work or are they not tint safe?

I have a small gap in my tint on the front windows of my 2001 Grand Marquis that I just had tinted this past Monday behind the mirrors.  The tint shop used a little bit of the marker but I'd like to add some.  I left a message for the tint shop to check it out but I am thinking worst possible outcome I'd have to touch up some of the gap myself with the marker....although I will see.....I doubt they will retint the windows due to the fact that the mirror bracket sticks out further than the glass on the inside of the window, and they cut the tint on the outside of the glass.  It is a small gap but light still gets through, kind of annoying and doesn't look 100% in my opinion...

Thanks.

spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Take it back to the shop and have them fix what you dont like .If they have that "marker" there just show them the problem and they should fix it.
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
It's called a film opaquer pen. It's a "bandaid" for a job not so well done!
blaine b. 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  

Well I talked to the guy at the tint shop, he said he had no problem with me coming back.  He was talking about the tint not wanting to stick right if somebody but armor all on some trim.  I didn't really know what the hell he was talking about.  Anyway he said he could use the black marker to fill the gap or retint it, but said if he retinted it it might look worse because it might not stick.  Again I am not sure why it wouldn't stick because it's the glass.  I never put armorall on anything on the car so far.

Here are some pics though.  The passenger side is the worse.  The driver's side has a small gap.  Not to the point where you can see it from the other side (like you can see the passenger side gap from the driver's side!) but you can see the felt trim around the window being lit up when it is sunny outside.....

tint marker? -- posted image.

tint marker? -- posted image.

spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
That guy is feeding you major b/s.It doesnt matter if theres armorall on the panels ,hes not tinting the panels!!!!.As far as retinting the window there should be no problem with them sticking if he strips the tint and the adhesive off properly.You might take it to another shop and see what they say about the tint job ,Id bet a more experienced window tinter could make that look perfect.If it were me Id let him redo one more time and if its not to your liking then tell him youll have it tinted some where else and his shop can pay for it.
blaine b. 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

I showed up for my 10:30 am appointment today at the tint shop, except that nobody was there.  I called the owner and he said he totally forgot and would be able to "paint it in" after the 4th because he was "no where in the area".

Although I talked to another shop owner next door and he said he saw the tint guy leaving a few minutes before I showed up.

I'm wized.

spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like a hack shop to me honestly I would probably just take it to another tint shop and retint everything and give him the bill. If he refuses to pay it take pics of his work and turn him into the proper agencies.There is a standard in this area of expertise.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

That first pic is HIDEOUS. The guy that tinted your glass is a rookie at best.

Looks as if he made his cut with a steak knife. There is only 1 way to fix that... strip and retint!

I been tinting with the best..... this is terrible work!   I'll bet you got cuts on your glass too!

blaine b. 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

I saw when he made the two front window cuts.  I think he used a razor blade.  There are no cuts/scratches on my glass that I can see.  That's why I'm so confused to as why this happened.  He got my buddy's car perfect and suposidely he has been tinting for 20 years....

I'll call him Sunday and try to set something up for next Monday I guess, that is all I can do at this point is wait a few *extra* days now...

tint genie 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2009 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

The tint is cut to small there is no excuse for it and to fill it in with a marker is not an option, That marker was designed for filling in small light gaps on rear windows when we use to install back glass in pieces and had to cut along the defrost wire line  years and years ago when dinasaurs roamed the earth.

Take it back and just say "hey everyone screws up, can you change it and try again this way i am a satisfied customer and will bring you more work and or customers. There is no better advertising than word of mouth"

Good Luck

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic