the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

port tuning frequencies

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thatfloorguy 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

I think I may be confused here.  Will A lower tuned port bring the low deep bass compared to a higher tuned port?  I read somewhere for spl you tune higher. I am putting a 15'L7  into a 6.525ft^ gross enclosure, powerd by a zx750(big3 upgrade) I want the low deep bass you can feel. Do I wanna tune the port to 30hz or lower? I don't plan on trying to compete or anything I just want to feel the bass.

I_also_want_the_boom

thatfloorguy 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
The sub is 4 ohm dvc wired to 2, port will be around 60 sq inches
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2009 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
if you tune the box lower, around 35hz, it should give more output in the lower frequency bass range but at the expense of output around 50hz. in other words you might feel it more and it might be a little bit smoother but it probably wont be as loud overall. but, you dont need to go lower than 30hz. mid 30's should be just fine.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
Yuggg...How about this: Creatively design your enclosure to allow for adjustments to be made. Think outside the box. Extending ports, trimming vents or even adding 3/4" mdf ring (3.14 X r2" X .75")to the baffle can make big differences.
This is what I do for FUN!
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
well you can do this if you want to build a box to do both. Make a removable port. 50hz to do spl(comps) and put a port like 35-40hz for everyday driving. I have done a lot of installs like that and they seem to work well but back to the high spl tones. The termlab like around 45-55hz range which I thank is really odd. I do my tuning in the middle around 35-45hz for the boxes I make unless the buyer wants something lower or high then that. Most subs company's recommend that 35-45hz for their boxes. But there is some that don't
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
thatfloorguy 
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Will tuning it to 35 hz shorten the life of the woofer as opposed to say 45? Kicker's 6 ft^3 is tuned to 30 and it is supposed to be for spl unless I am mistaken. I have only built a few enclosures so I am not too familiar with the tuning aspect. It is already fairly loud now but my old one seemed to give more of the "thumo" in your chest and it was only like 4ft^3 common chamber holding 2 cvr 12's. I didn't even know anything abt tuning it. I just made a port in the center around 4x25xlike 13 deep. Musta just got lucky on that one. I guess since I want to feel that low deep bass I would like to know if I stay closer to 35 hz or go up to 45? Also when figuring port legth do I figure it on the net enclosure internal air space? I have like 5.975 before any port being added.(including driver/brace displacements)
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

There isn't any one generalization on tuning.  Some subs, because of the limitations of enclosure size inherent in car audio design, demonstrate a substantial peak in the higher SPL freq range...even without the added help of a tuned port.  Those are often recommended to be tuned lower so that the audio freq spectrum may be evened out somewhat so they aren't just one-note wonders.  Other subs demonstrate a more even reponse across the spectrum and then therefore can be tuned to a frequency that interplays loudest with the vehicle.

Other ways of tuning involve tuning ultra low so that the port sound interferes the least with the sound from the sub enclosure.  This may be a case where the sub requires a port but the goal is SQ.  But in every case, every sub behaves differently from the others.

wrote:
Will tuning it to 35 hz shorten the life of the woofer as opposed to say 45?

A woofer's life won't be shortened by box tuning method, in itself.  But when tuning higher to the SPL range, establish the lowest freqs that the sub can handle in that enclosure and set a subsonic filter on the amp to protect the sub from becoming unstable.  If the setup is accurate and filters and gains are set correctly for the gear, the woofer will last its expected lifetime regardless of box tuning frequency.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
thatfloorguy 
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
Ok it is a 96 cavalier back half is dynamatted so far, big 3 upgrade the woofer is an 08s15L74 wired to 2 ohms, the amp is an 08zx750.1 which I believe has the built in subsonic filter. The sub has a range of 18-100 hz, but I do not know where it will perform best at. HU LPF is set to 50 HPF is set to 125
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
set you LPF to a higher mark and see what that does. 50hz is way too low imo.
thatfloorguy 
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I set it to 63 hz > I may not even build a new enclosure. I have it in a 4.75 net , 65 sq" port tuned to 40 hz (recommended by aznboi) I thought it was leaking but now it sounds much better. I have the gain all the way down now. Is it mandatory to adjust it? I turned up the bass boost to 18db on the amp and right @ halfway on the wired remote(bass boost). Hu setting @ 63hz LPF 125 HPF amp LPF @ abt 70. I have a 2 farad cap which I believe to be useless except as a big distribution block. The digital readout says 14.10 volts at idle drops to low 13's on Late nite tip which carries alot of bass.(at idle) Should I get a real test tone cd to try and set the gain or just leave it all the way down. It appears to be getting enough volts and I don't think it is clipping.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic