icon

speaker wire colors ls400

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Turbotom 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
i'm going to be installing an amp in a '90 lexus ls400 for my friend. i need speaker wire colors to install line out converter. please help. and if you have done this car before, any tips or secrets would help. i am an experienced installer, but any extra info would make this a lot easier. thanks
tom
turbotom
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

you're gonna be using a high-level converter, right? by that I mean that you're getting the inputs from the amplified signal, not the low-level signal.

I don't know the colors that come out of the factory amp, only the ones that go in to the amp.  But since it's on the output side, I would think a simple speaker popper would do the trick real quick.  And for polarity just test for positive and negative voltage for the same color wires coming out of the amp.

Turbotom 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
where is the amp? i'm using a high to low converter. amplified speaker to rca. it seems easiest.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Tom,
I did this car last summer, but it was a newer model that yours. Hopefully I can recall as much as possibly from memories to help you out. First of all, you do not need to open up the dash to get to the head unit at all for your remote. You can get to the remote from the factory amp situated above the gas tank, and I believe it is in the top left comer with the vehicle forward facing. As for using your line converter you can tap the signal off the rear speaker. As esmith69 mention, you can do the “simple speaker popper” for your polarity or a DMM. As for the power wire, that would probably be your challenge. I didn’t have any success at all fishing the power wire through the firewall with a coat hanger. If you do, please post it up and send me a message. I gave up trying after several attempts because it scare me enough that I didn’t want to short out a wire with the coat hanger.   If you do want to attempt this make sure you round out the edges of your coat hanger so that it doesn’t get you into any trouble. What I ended up doing was drilling through the firewall instead. I don’t remember whether I did it through the driver or passenger side, but I do know that I ran the power wire to the back on the passenger side.   To get the power wire to into the truck you will need someone to help you here unless you want to try removing the backseat. At this point you will need your coat hanger and a friend to lift up the back seat panel so that you can poke the coat hanger through the very top corner near the rear speaker. Don’t attempt to drill here unless you are absolutely sure because the gas tank is behind the back seat panel. You will find it very difficult seeing an opening to poke your coat hanger though since the hole is barely visible, but it is there.    You might even need a bright light in the truck when you are attempting to do this. I am assuming the design of the car didn’t change much from the newer model. Let me know if it is different from what I have described to you. Anyway, I hope this sort of help you out a bit.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.speaker wire colors ls400 -- posted image.
turbotalon1 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2003 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
i got it done, no problem. Although the firewall had no room, and the backseat wouldnt comeout,it went pretty smoothly. Since I couldn't get the back seat out, I ended up drilling a hole in the back deck where it fold behind the seat. It wasn't my first choice, but the wire is barely visible at all, especially with the window tint. After I got the wire under the rear deck, I just fished it through a hole near the rear sub, which ended up using for my high to low converter. It was fairly easy, and I appreciate the advice from every one.
Tom

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic