icon

alarm recommendation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
everend 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

I'm new to car alarms but I've been working on older 60's & 70's cars for 20 years.  I just purchased an  '01 Cherokee to use as a work truck. It already has power locks/windows so adding keyless entry should be simple and inexpensive. While looking into this I realized I should probably add a security system as well since I'll have everything apart already. I've heard stories from other Jeep owners about people busting in windows and reaching through to grab tools out of the back. I really don't like siren alarms so I probably wouldn't even plug the siren in. The 2-way pager style is the way I want to go. This way if someone does decide they really want my drill while I'm shopping in Home Depot I will be alerted when they bust the window but they won't know until I show up. (silent alarm)

As for other features:
- I don't care about remote start.
- Rolling down the windows with the remote would be handy.
- Auto-lock/unlock with ignition would be appreciated.
- I don't need an auto open on the tailgate, but I do want it to lock/unlock with the rest of the doors. Since it already does using the power lock button on the drivers door I expect it will lock/unlock with the rest using keyless entry anyway.
- Small FOB to fit easily in my pocket
- 2-way range strong enough to reach me when I'm shopping at Lowe's, in the back of the store.

Based on the research I've done already I am looking at Scytek Astra 777.  I've seen several reviews that it is a good inexpensive system. I am a little concerned about the range of the 2-way. I'm also a believer in 'you get what you pay for' so I'm reluctant to purchase a cheep system though I don't have much to spend.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe the siren is not a bad idea...I understand the whole suprise the enemy thing...But these guys are Thugs,thieves...When the siren goes off most thieves will keep going...same w/ the warning chirps...If the thief thinks/hears an alarm he will probably move on to the next car...Rather then busting your window out and you trying to suprise the thief...For the most part the siren is important to scare away the thief...Less chance of breaking window and grabbing something, especially if like you said you have to run out of store...That guy is probably already gone...As opposed to an immediate siren, and everyone looking over at him...JUst a thought...But i would recommend leaving the siren as it is like a step of security...And every step helps...I agree w/ the use of a 2-way...And unless you are superman or(i was actually going top say unless your superman...or live in texas...lol...you do...!) Anyhow maybe wire up something to quiet the siren when you want to play superhero...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
oh BTW...we use Code and AutoPage...2-ways...There great brands...Never used a scytek...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
Basicly consider three things....first how long is a piece of string; second Tommy is quite right in what he says and the point he makes about the Siren, third;  don't go for the cheapest product unless you know someone who has it and loves it.  Cheap doesn't mean good value.  With these products cheap often means rubbish.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
everend wrote:

As for other features:

- I don't care about remote start.
- Rolling down the windows with the remote would be handy.
- Auto-lock/unlock with ignition would be appreciated.
- I don't need an auto open on the tailgate, but I do want it to lock/unlock with the rest of the doors. Since it already does using the power lock button on the drivers door I expect it will lock/unlock with the rest using keyless entry anyway.
- Small FOB to fit easily in my pocket
- 2-way range strong enough to reach me when I'm shopping at Lowe's, in the back of the store.

Based on the research I've done already I am looking at Scytek Astra 777. 

Window rolldown: The DEI 530T seems to be the most popular, although other brands are available too. While you could make the majority of your wire connections in the driver's kick panel area, you'd need to run wires through the rubber boot and into the driver's door to control the driver's window.
Almost all brand-name units have ignition lock/unlock. If you end up getting an inexpensive no-name unit, don't buy it without being able to read the install manual and the programming settings----that'll show you if it has an ignition lock feature or not.
As long as you hook up the lock/unlock outputs from the alarm to the corresponding wires in the car, and do so correctly, yes, the tailgate will lock/unlock along with the other doors.
Most of those two-way keyfobs are a little bulky. There are some models that use colored LEDs instead of an LCD display....they're both smaller and less expensive. They lack things such as a clock, and the ability to see your car's interior temperature, but they still have 2-way communcation.
Range: I've mostly installed Audiovox. Their "1400 feet" basic two-way units would probably work partway into the store, but not all the way to the back. Their more expensive "up to one mile" units, well, my father said it works all the way in the back of Sam's Club at least.
Their "1-mile" units are more expensive and I think all include remote start, but other than the extra expense, you could just opt not to connect the remote start features.
Scykek: I've seen a couple of their units but I've never installed one. From what little I know, they're one of the less expensive (and therefore more basic) brands, but still a big leap above the no-name stuff on eBay. I've never heard any complaints about Scytek products that I can remember.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
P.S. about the siren thing.   I've seen some two-way units (I think it's a Clifford/DEI?) that have multiple arming modes.
That is, when you normally arm, you have a regular alarm with a siren and flashing lights.....but then there's another mode where the car will do nothing, and only the remote will get paged.
So that might be something worth looking into.
everend 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the replies.

tommy, yes I do live in TX :)  I suppose connecting the siren is not the worst idea.  I'll have to see what I decide when I install it.

howie II, double the length from one side to the middle!  :)  I looked up the meaning of this phrase, I thought you were suggesting that my question is unanswerable but I wasn't sure.  I realize the answers are very subjective, but that's ok since I'm the novice and your the expert, your opinion is valuable.

Chris,  I won't be buying a separate component to control the windows. I thought I have seen some systems that include that feature so I mentioned it.  The colored LED fob sounds like the way to go since I prefer a smaller fob than additional features.  Thanks for sharing your Dad's experience.

So far I haven't found a 2-way, 1+mile range, LED Fob alarm but I'll keep looking. It also seems the 1+mile range units are closer to $200 than the $100 budget I am trying to stick to.

Others, please continue to post if you have recommendations for what systems you use or install.

thanks, Everend

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2009 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
Nice one everend, you called my bluff beautifullly!  Yes I did mean there is no real answer. But one last comment. I entirely agree with the comment about LED 2-ways being less pricey than LCD. They are also far more reliable and battery life incomparably longer. Re. window closing and venting. Some earlier Clifford models had this feature but as far as I know, none do it know. If you must vent then it's the 530t, but proper functioning entails wiring to each motor. This will give you one-shot at each switch but also look at the time and labour to be spent on achieving it. Rule of thumb unless you live in flat countryside with no buildings = 1mile advertised, 3/4 true range descending with topography.  Think West Texas compared with say San Francisco.
everend 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks again for all the input.  I just got a refurbished Viper 3202 from Amazon for a killer price $85. 
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
Good luck on install...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic