icon

sidewinder 6500hf won't respond

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wiliecoyote 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  

I have the above alarm system installed in my 96 Impala.  The other day, the brain seems to have stopped responding to the transmitter.  It worked fine all morning, but in the afternoon, I went to lock it with the FOB, and nothing.  The system would usually self arm, but it also did not work.  So currently, the system is inactive.  Any thoughts? 

I purchased the car used with that alarm system in it, and have no manuals.  I saw the owners manual is still on DEI's website, but I was looking for the installation manual as well.  I don't know all of the features that the system may have or have been installed. 

If the alarm is toast, I'm looking to replace it, and right now, the current front runner is the Viper 5601.  But so far, no one (retail tech support) I've called can give me any clear answers.  Like will the 5601 work like the 6500HF?  Do I need to purchase more modules beyond the unit to make it work with the doors/trunk and starter? 

I know there's a lot in this post.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

1996 Impala SS
2000 Sierra 1500 SLE ECSB
2005 Passat Wagen 1.8T 4mo
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
Let's start with what happened to the existing system: What is the LED doing? Is it blinking, is it lit solid, etc.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
wiliecoyote 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2009 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  

Nothing, the LED in the car is doing nothing.  The light in the FOB is fine (replaced the battery thinking that was it).  I was going to edit my post this morning with that little bit of info. 

Once the weather gets nice (its been raining everyday for a week straight), I'm going to take apart the dash, and dig into the brain and wiring a bit.  See if maybe a fuse or something is blown.  I did call a local shop, and explained what happened, and he mentioned that maybe the antenna went, which is integral to the brain on the older units, not a remote like the newer ones.  But what doesn't make sense, is why the LED is out, and why nothing seems to be working.  Would the system completely shut off like that if it lost the antenna?

1996 Impala SS
cbo2009 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Wonder if you ever found the 6500HF installation manual. Seems nowhere to be found.
I have a similar topic. Can be searched using '6500hf'. My issue is seemingly being locked out. I want to program a new remote. Can't get into the program. But seems there is no port for a bitwriter so not sure how it could have gotten locked. Only thing I can think of is that I am not using the right sequence to get into the programming. Wonder if you know how to do it? Here is what I am doing:
1) open door and leave open
2) put key to on position
3) hit and release the valet button once (led lights up once)
4) hit and hold the valet button for more than 3 seconds. Nothing happens. No chirp. No light on the led.
I know the alarm works. I know the siren works. I had the voltage sensor tested when the door is opened. The only thing I can think of is the sequence is wrong or there is some magic way to unlock it.
wiliecoyote 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

No, never found an installation manual.  I agree, can't find it anywhere.

I still can't figure out what happened to my system.  Need to dig into it a bit more now that we have some nice weather finally.

1996 Impala SS
wiliecoyote 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2009 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

So I took some time over the long weekend, and removed the brain from my car.

I didn't notice right off any fuses blown or anything, so I really started to wonder what happened.
When I got the main plug (12 pin connector), I noticed it was awfully hard to disconnect it.  It finally let go.

I opened the brain unit itself, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, scorched lines on the board, blown circuitry, nothing.  But I looked back at the plug end of that 12 pin, and the 12V lead in the plug looked like it had gotten hot. 

So, I'm thinking something shorted out that lead, and without 12v of power to the unit, it didn't work.  So...does anyone know where I can get a new pig tail?  Or perhapes have a good source for some of those plug ends, and I'll pull all the pins out of the old one, and re-pin a new one? 

Just trying to save some cash, don't feel like putting in a new system if I don't have to. 

1996 Impala SS

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic